Pair of Paph Philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimNJ

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a reposting of the Paph philippinense var album now with it’s 5th flower open, and another first bloom plant Var Roebelinii (?).

Attachments

• 606D6F15-F437-45BC-9976-A8680A903B0C.jpeg
    606D6F15-F437-45BC-9976-A8680A903B0C.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 50A4C1A8-227E-4580-BD4D-808ECBDC1092.jpeg
    50A4C1A8-227E-4580-BD4D-808ECBDC1092.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 23AA0289-BEDE-42FB-B866-2EBE650B28B4.jpeg
    23AA0289-BEDE-42FB-B866-2EBE650B28B4.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 2
Beautiful curving petal! I like it much!
According to the shape of broader, and soft leaves, I think the colored one is a standard philippinense, not a roebelini.

Beautiful curving petal! I like it much!
According to the shape of broader, and soft leaves, I think the colored one is a standard philippinense, not a roebelini.
Thanks, I was surprised how long the petals were even with this first blooming. I wonder is it leaf texture / form that determines standard vs var roebelinii - what about petal form/length? It does happen to have some green veining too which suggests philippinense from what I understand, although I’ve seen photos as well of roebelinii with green veining in the staminode as well. In this case, I suspect the plant I have may have been bred from different parent forms.

I wonder is it leaf texture / form that determines standard vs var roebelinii - what about petal form/length? It does happen to have some green veining too which suggests philippinense from what I understand,............ In this case, I suspect the plant I have may have been bred from different parent forms.
I personally believed, it is more trust-able that to separate the difference of varieties of philippinense by form and texture of leaf, than by the form of the flower.
I had been growing several tens of standard philippinense wild collections 30 years before. Their form of flowers were variable, from vertical to horizontal, from over 24 cm petal length to less than 15 cm. But they all in same leaf shape, broader, and soft. In that time, somebody tough me, the vertical petal one is roebelinii, the non-vertical one is philippinense....... Until I had a chance to see a batch of wild collected roebelinii about 20 years ago. I found I had being wrong teaching. roebelinii has thinner and harder leaves. And yes, the flower petal of roebelinii I saw was vertical. But I'm not sure, if "all" roebelinii are in vertical flower petal. Because there were only about ten plants of roebelinii I had been seen. That's my experience.
Attached is one of my standard philippinense collection.

Attachments

• phi Daya.jpg
    phi Daya.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I personally believed, it is more trust-able that to separate the difference of varieties of philippinense by form and texture of leaf, than by the form of the flower.
I had been growing several tens of standard philippinense wild collections 30 years before. Their form of flowers were variable, from vertical to horizontal, from over 24 cm petal length to less than 15 cm. But they all in same leaf shape, broader, and soft. In that time, somebody tough me, the vertical petal one is roebelinii, the non-vertical one is philippinense....... Until I had a chance to see a batch of wild collected roebelinii about 20 years ago. I found I had being wrong teaching. roebelinii has thinner and harder leaves. And yes, the flower petal of roebelinii I saw was vertical. But I'm not sure, if "all" roebelinii are in vertical flower petal. Because there were only about ten plants of roebelinii I had been seen. That's my experience.
Attached is one of my standard philippinense collection.
Thanks. It’s helpful that you have original collected plants to compare with. How would you classify the plant on the left?

Attachments

• 6C38A82D-3139-401A-BA1B-B2AD10CD0134.jpeg
    6C38A82D-3139-401A-BA1B-B2AD10CD0134.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 0
How do you tell the difference in the shape of leaves of between var compactum vs var roebelinii?
The leaf of compactum is similarly like standard philippinense, broader and softer, but smaller in size. While the leaf of roebelinii is narrow, hard and thick.
Attached picture is a comparison between both varieties. I took this picture two months ago. In the picture, the right side two plants which in narrow leaves are var. roebelinii. And the left side two plants are var. compactum, in wider and softer leaves.
In additional, maybe in temperature area, all philippinense varieties can have straight up leaves. But I think we still can separate them from the width and substance of the leaves.

Attachments

• 20220408_120238.JPG
    20220408_120238.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 0
The leaf of compactum is similarly like standard philippinense, broader and softer, but smaller in size. While the leaf of roebelinii is narrow, hard and thick.
Attached picture is a comparison between both varieties. I took this picture two months ago. In the picture, the right side two plants which in narrow leaves are var. roebelinii. And the left side two plants are var. compactum, in wider and softer leaves.
In additional, maybe in temperature area, all philippinense varieties can have straight up leaves. But I think we still can separate them from the width and substance of the leaves.
Thanks Jim for the ID and thanks InCharm for 5he comparison.

I will have to post my roebbelinii, plant and flower here too.

Latest posts

Back