Pair of Paph Philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The leaf of compactum is similarly like standard philippinense, broader and softer, but smaller in size. While the leaf of roebelinii is narrow, hard and thick.
Attached picture is a comparison between both varieties. I took this picture two months ago. In the picture, the right side two plants which in narrow leaves are var. roebelinii. And the left side two plants are var. compactum, in wider and softer leaves.
In additional, maybe in temperature area, all philippinense varieties can have straight up leaves. But I think we still can separate them from the width and substance of the leaves.
Thanks. Really helpful that you have these side by side photos. From this informationa, it like true roebeliniis may be pretty rare then as I’m not sure I’ve seen many photos of Paph philippinense with long narrow stiff leaves.

Both are great, especially the album, congrats!
Here’s a reposting of the Paph philippinense var album now with it’s 5th flower open, and another first bloom plant Var Roebelinii (?).

The leaf of compactum is similarly like standard philippinense, broader and softer, but smaller in size. While the leaf of roebelinii is narrow, hard and thick.
Attached picture is a comparison between both varieties. I took this picture two months ago. In the picture, the right side two plants which in narrow leaves are var. roebelinii. And the left side two plants are var. compactum, in wider and softer leaves.
In additional, maybe in temperature area, all philippinense varieties can have straight up leaves. But I think we still can separate them from the width and substance of the leaves.

Hi Incharm, I recently purchased a division of a plant with long and very narrow leaves - quite different from my other philippinenses - not ver stiff though because maybe it’s not established yet. It was labelled as laevigatum. I wonder if this fits the roebelinii description of your plants?

Attachments

• 3A870FD0-B2F1-4BA6-A926-7781F1A41187.jpeg
    3A870FD0-B2F1-4BA6-A926-7781F1A41187.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Or could it be that it depends on how the plant is grown, culture wise.received_945825569747785.jpeg Or where they grow in nature.
Here is a picture of collected plants from one location. A lot of them looks stiff, erect and hard. But they look typical phili to me
This bunch came from Cebu and Cebu is more of a lowland, dry and limestone terrain. I asked the guy who had this and he said they are erect stiff and hard. They were from semi shaded area, some even get full sun.

Or could it be that it depends on how the plant is grown, culture wise.View attachment 39575 Or where they grow in nature.
Here is a picture of collected plants from one location. A lot of them looks stiff, erect and hard. But they look typical phili to me
This bunch came from Cebu and Cebu is more of a lowland, dry and limestone terrain. I asked the guy who had this and he said they are erect stiff and hard. They were from semi shaded area, some even get full sun.

Good point, and info on geographic variety of the species. The photo from Incharm though had distinctly narrow leaves.

Back