P. xerophyticum w dark red leaf base

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else seen this in xerophyticums? The plant is growing to the side of a four tube bank of T-5's and getting 1,800 fc of light. Not sure what the flower will look like (it's in bud), but if it were any other slipper orchid with this color leaf base, I'd bet on a flower color other than white. Time will tell......

Last edited:
Do you have other Mexipediums growing in the same location, and if so, do they not show the red pigments? If so, it is probably a genetic trait.

But if this is the only plant that you have, or if the other Mexipediums also show red pigments then it may have to do with cultural conditions, rather than a genetic factor. Grown under higher light, some plants will show more anthocyanin pigments in the foliage.

Btw, I too a have seen the red pigments at the base of the leaves on the Mexipediums at Orchids Limited, but maybe not as much as in your picture.

Robert

Too soon to tell, Dot. Given the size of the buds, I don't think it will bloom for two more weeks. Good insight, Robert. It may just be a light reaction with this particular clone when exposed to T5 lamps. Will let you all know....

Last edited:
I am not sure of the pigment at the base of the plant would be an indication that the flower will be with pigment .
I remember one time a seller told me that the red spots at the base of a hangianum plant is the indication that it will produce red flower . Well , you all can guess the story ends with the plant producing flower even with less red tint petals than another hangianum plant with no spots at base .

Latest posts

Back