P. wardii and P. glanduliferum var. praestans - 1st time bloomer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
P. wardii:20211219_124542.jpgNS: 10,5 cm
Plant and flower:20211219_124903.jpg
P. glanduliferum var. praestans ('Sam's Choice' x 'Yellow Giant') - first time bloomer:20211219_125145.jpgNS: 13,5 cm
The other flower:20211219_125205.jpgNS: 15 cm
Plant and flowers in toto:20211219_125223.jpg
I got this last plant and a couple of others, when Sam for the first time, after a longer absence due to covid restrictions, visited Europe in the autumn - before Omikron and all Hell broke loose.
Lo and behold, the plant already graced me with its first flowering - a little light in the forbidding darkness of winter and pandemic.

Last edited:
Jens, I love both of them....the P. wardii as well as the P. glanduliferum.👌 But I'm not really convinced it to be var. praestans....intependent from if this variety is accepted or not ? What I've seen so far is that the petals of var. preastand are more heavily twisted as you can see in the link P. praestans.
We have the same dark weather with dull days here, too. I'm waiting eagerly for other weather with more natural light to take some photos.

But I'm not really convinced it to be var. praestans....
As so often, Rudolf, I can only wholeheartedly agree with you.
The tag from Sam, reading 'glandulifetum var. praestans', seemed to my eyes something of a pleonasm, as I thought the latter to be a synonym of the first...I was just, for once, too lazy to look it up, and thus resorted to quote the tag.
As so often before it shows, that this strategy certainly is not the most adviceable in these pages! 🤭

..... 'glandulifetum var. praestans'........as I thought the latter to be a synonym of the first....
Jens, you are in excellent company because KEW Science says the same.

As so often before it shows, that this strategy certainly is not the most adviceable in these pages! 🤭
This is human, Jens and therefore no need to be embarrassed.....In the end we all are here to agree or correct.

Very nice Jens. Both are lovely.

By my understanding, glanduliferum is an old name no longer used by taxonomists. Basically species from this group fall into either praestans or wilhelminiae. It certainly is not the latter, so it is praestans to me which can be quite variable in colour. I have two praestans - one is a dark chocolate colour the other is a light yellow based colour.

By my understanding, glanduliferum is an old name no longer used by taxonomists. Basically species from this group fall into either praestans or wilhelminiae. It certainly is not the latter, so it is praestans to me which can be quite variable in colour.
Thank you for the kind words, David.

With regard to fhe name, I thought, it was the other way round, i.e. that praestans was the older name - and glanduliferum now the current one. At least, it is the current species name according to the Gospel of Kew (yes, Rudolf, you heard me utter that sentence! ;)).
Click bait:
Jens, you are in excellent company because KEW Science says the same.

And by the way, if the AOC insists on sinking anitum or var. anitum into the concept of adductum by reference to Kew, and retaining praestans as the species name in this case, cherry picking would be the mildest sin, they could be charged with; doubble standards maybe the most appropriate.

Much less yellow than most praestans. Send a photo to Sam?
Why?

I'm in no doubt of its identity - re: David's comment about its variablility in colour as demonstrated by his own plants: one light yellow based colour and the other a dark chocolate coloured one.

The staminode is what makes me 100% certain of its status - see Kew's description and the photos on their page: Paphiopedilum glanduliferum (Blume) Stein | Plants of the World Online | Kew Science
The form of the staminode of its closest cousin P. wilhelminae is quite different: more square - and red or reddish, compared to the yellow, more oblong staminode of glanduliferum.

Bravo Guidal!!! Mine wardii and wardii fma aureum are just going to open in the next coming days. We are blessed down here with so many sunny days. But you do just fine even with less than perfect light level!

Bravo Guidal!!! Mine wardii and wardii fma aureum are just going to open in the next coming days. We are blessed down here with so many sunny days. But you do just fine even with less than perfect light level!
Thank you, LO! I'm very happy with the flowering of both, though, a bit discontent with the slightly twisted top of the dorsal of the wardii. But as I'm very content with its other features, I hope for improvement the next time(s)! 🙂

My poor wardii album just blasted as it was just about to open its first ever bloom. Such sadness 😢.

IMHO glanduliferum is a lost species not to be found to date. Although I question the validaty of ooii!(LOL) Now a number of years ago a red form of praestans was available on the market for sale. Supposedly with a red cast to the base of the plants. This could be just such a cross of a red form, 'Sam's Choice' and the 'Yellow Giant' making a mutt of sorts. Jens, I have this same cross in low spike but will be a month or more before a comparison can be made.

IMHO glanduliferum is a lost species not to be found to date. Although I question the validaty of ooii!(LOL) Now a number of years ago a red form of praestans was available on the market for sale. Supposedly with a red cast to the base of the plants. This could be just such a cross of a red form, 'Sam's Choice' and the 'Yellow Giant' making a mutt of sorts. Jens, I have this same cross in low spike but will be a month or more before a comparison can be made.
Dear Mad! 😁

Over the years I think the whole glanduliferum vs. praestans question has spurned, even preeminent, botanists to take very different positions in relation to proposing an answer/explanation. Not seldom, themselves over time changing their minds (if my memory doesn't elude me, Braem is an esteemed example of such a one). The whole kerfuffle wasn't diminished by the introduction of P. gardnerii into cultivation - and by P. wilhelminiae sometimes brought into the discussion in rather confusing ways (read: by misidentification).
As Rudolf (GuRu) pointed out above, the current stance of Kew, is at the moment to accept P. glanduliferum as species name with P. praestans relegated to synonymity.

You mention, in the passing, your scepticism in relation to the taxonomic status of P. ooii. I have had the great fortune to see a clone of this rare species in flower in the nursery of my friend, Hans Christiansen. And I assure you, that it is very different from any other Paph-species, I've encountered. That might not count as much, but Hans with his vast knowledge of orchids and more than 50+ years as professional nursery owner plus long term experience as international orchid judge, totally shares the same view.

As I'm not going to bother Sam with a request for pictures of his flowering plants of this cross, your input with pictures to compare, when your plant is in full flower, will be highly valued!

Happy New Year to you - and to y'all!

Most kind regards,
Jens

Sorry about this. This last summer it happened to me with a sukhakuli and the high temperatures, but the good news is has generated four new grows

Yep, stuff happens. I was looking forward to see what we really have. It will probably be another 2 years at this point.

Latest posts

Back