P. schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Quick question here. A cat of mine ate a Phrag schlimii. It's in rough shape. I got to thinking about this plant and began wondering if maybe I shouldn't remove a two of the most damaged leaves. Sometimes when I want to stimulate basal growth in Nepenthes, I remove like 75% of the upper growth. The plants normally respond by shooting up new growth within a week or so. Makes the plants not look so leggy and keeps them more compact so that I can enjoy them longer. Think giving the schlimii a 50% hair cut right about now might help?

Here's what's left of the plant-

img_0008_00.jpg

I've been spraying with Lysol but sometimes I take the time to soak in a 15% bleach solution.

I've heard of cinnamon being used to help with damping off of seedlings. Never tried it. No time like the present to use both.

Cinnamon, the same dry powder used for cooking, works good on fresh cuts too. Natural antimycotic and smells festive. My cats certainly prefer Phrags to Paphs and almost never bite Phals. I think it's the grassiness of Phrags?

-Ernie

My cats only chew on phrags...as far as orchids go. To distract them, I let them chew on a huge pot of lemongrass, and an old ponytail palm. They love the lemon grass....and thank me by puking in my cool room......Take care, Eric

But if I leftthat many "wounds" on my plant, wouldn't I be opening the door and throwing out the welcome mat by inviting a pathogen in to attack my plant? I left the two central leaves alone but I did trim back the two with the most teeth marks in them. I sort of figured it was either trim those two back or sit shiva for the plant within a month.

The plant is ever so lightly dusted with both cinnamon and sulfur. I also watered it with H2O2. We'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back