P robelenii 08

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
So far this flowering is going well 7 good buds and one bitty one. The older flowers have petals a bit over 20cm. Taking it to the show next week.

Very nice! My Paph roebelenii 'Suzy' is just opening her buds for the show in three weeks. Good luck at your show!

That's wonderful, Rick. Use it for breeding.

I've selfed it a couple of times, and germination has been poor. There are a few seedlings this most recent time. I'll save some pollen and try putting it into a different roebelenii when it blooms (maybe this year).

I've selfed it a couple of times, and germination has been poor. There are a few seedlings this most recent time. I'll save some pollen and try putting it into a different roebelenii when it blooms (maybe this year).

Personally, I don't do selfings and I don't usually buy them either. I bet an outcross will show you a better germination rate.

Personally, I don't do selfings and I don't usually buy them either. I bet an outcross will show you a better germination rate.

Hard to say, and lots of variables. I think there's more problems with different techniques/agar formulas and species differences before inbreeding depression issues set in. Even outcrosses of randsii, venustum, and parishii are notorious for poor germination. I had (at Troy's) selfings of lowii, philippinense, and supardii that have yielded very good results.

Actually poor germination may not be an accurate description of the poor fecundity of this roebelenii selfing (or the venustum for that matter), rather than high mortality of germinated protocorms. Basic fertility does not seem to be the issue as opposed to protocorm vigor. Sometimes there is a catch 22, that they seem to be more susceptible to contamination, so stronger sterilization methods are used, which decrease the odds of successful germination. All of the above could be related to inbreeding depression too for that matter.

Latest posts

Back