P.philippinense var. ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you ! I will read about this form .

Palawan is one of the most beautiful Philippine islands, on my travel plan next........

Palawanense.cute!

Werner, I'm sure you own the new book of O.Gruss and at page 307 he writes that this variety which was often labeled as var. palawense had been oficially discribed by O.Gruss & Roellke in 2008 as Paph. philippinense var. compactum.

Last edited:
thanks for all comments !
Rudolf, the description of O.Gruss fits very well
so it used to be palawanense and got a valid name as compactum now

Imho it is not var. but ssp.Variety means these individuals, what are different from typical form within the population. Papawalense has homogenous populations and geographycally separated from philippinense so it is subspecies , by definition.

Last edited:
The name palawanense was never used officially, only for a hybrid between rothschildianum and dayanum. It was only a tradename. So we used in the description the name var. compactum. We decided to describe it as var. also we have known that there are populationsn geogreaphically separated of the plants of the typical philippinese. So we followed many other describer who used the classification as variety for many other distinct varieties with own populations, like javanicum var. virens, bougainvilleanum var. saskianum, charlesworthii var. lannaense, concolor var. longipetalum and so on. Here as an example Paph. barbigerum var. coccineum in Vietnam

Paphiopedilum barbigerum var coccineum 2016 Vurong Thanh Binh.jpg

Latest posts

Back