P philippinense 'Monte Vista'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I got this one from Norman's Orchids years ago, Feb 2002 (hopefully before his virus issues:mad:). I'm not sure if it's the roebelenii type or a mixture of different varities:confused: The petals are 6.5 inches and the most that I've had is a count of three flowers.
PphilippMonteVista1.jpg

PphilippMonteVista2.jpg

Very beautiful! Isn't the Monte Vista clone awarded?

You should email Norman Fang. He will tell what type of phil it is. He is an orchid judge.
:drool:

Very beautiful! Isn't the Monte Vista clone awarded?

You should email Norman Fang. He will tell what type of phil it is. He is an orchid judge.
:drool:

Peter,
At the time when I bought it there was no award attached to the tag. I will look into it.
It's funny, the first time this plant bloomed I thought I had been riped off. The flowers were little, nicely colored but very little twist in the petals. I thought "Dang! I paid too much for this" but I didn't sell it. I grew it on and the next repotting it came apart in two pcs. or I divided it, can't remember. I sold one divison and bloomed the other. It was a serious improvement over thr first blooming. Same great coloring but doubled flower size with good twisting in the petals that were held more on a horizonal plain. So I thought to myself this is a good example of the variety philippinense.
Now on this blooming more twisting ( I counted 8 turns) then before but the petals hang more downward. So you can see why I'm not sure of any variety status at this point.

Rick H

Peter,
At the time when I bought it there was no award attached to the tag. I will look into it.
It's funny, the first time this plant bloomed I thought I had been riped off. The flowers were little, nicely colored but very little twist in the petals. I thought "Dang! I paid too much for this" but I didn't sell it. I grew it on and the next repotting it came apart in two pcs. or I divided it, can't remember. I sold one divison and bloomed the other. It was a serious improvement over thr first blooming. Same great coloring but doubled flower size with good twisting in the petals that were held more on a horizonal plain. So I thought to myself this is a good example of the variety philippinense.
Now on this blooming more twisting ( I counted 8 turns) then before but the petals hang more downward. So you can see why I'm not sure of any variety status at this point.

Rick H

What kind of light levels is this plant getting? Maybe with more light the next blooming will increase the flower count. I like the confirmation and color of the flowers, but would like to see 4-5 flowers per spike.

Norman's 'virus issues'

This reference is new to me; can you please elaborate?

Rick,
I'm giving this plant the highest light levels I can give in the greenhouse. I would have to move it outside in a more explosed area. I don't own a light meter so I can't tell you what the light level is. All other genera bloom, cats, phrags, dendo, aerides the only exception that doesn't bloom to its full potential is nodosa.

Rick H

Rick,
I'm giving this plant the highest light levels I can give in the greenhouse. I would have to move it outside in a more explosed area. I don't own a light meter so I can't tell you what the light level is. All other genera bloom, cats, phrags, dendo, aerides the only exception that doesn't bloom to its full potential is nodosa.

Rick H

That sounds pretty good. Do you have any Vandas? They are probably a better "light test" for me than Catts for assessing "bright" light conditions.

Do you lime or oyster shell this plant?

Latest posts

Back