• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

P. micranthum album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Candace said:
Be still my heart. Where did you find the P. micranthum eburneum album? I'm also on the hunt for an alboflavun and glanzeanum. My birthday and Mother's Day is right around the corner and I deserve a nice gift:>

P. micranthum var. albo-flavum is a synonym of P. micranthum fma. glanzeanum which represent P. micranthum album.

P. micranthum album is the lazy way of saying P. micranthum fma. glanzeanum (for me anyhow, since i can never remember how to spell fma. glanzeanum).

Maybe next month's contest will feature a P. micranthum album as a first place prize... hrmm...

There's also a variety micranthum var. guanxii that I've not been able to find much information about. It's listed on the wikipedia site I listed above. Thanks for the clarification on the names. I didn't even know there was an eburneum album.

Candace said:
There's also a variety micranthum var. guanxii that I've not been able to find much information about. It's listed on the wikipedia site I listed above. Thanks for the clarification on the names. I didn't even know there was an eburneum album.

Guanxii i am guessing is eburneum. eburneum comes from the Kwangsi region which can also be spelled Guangxi. When micranthums from kwangsi was first introduced into cultivation, it went by the name kwangsii. It was later described by Fowlie in 1993 as var. eburneum. In Europe, eburneum is still referred to as kwangsii (guanxii).

Here's another variety of P. micranthum, though it is not described. The flowers are normal only the leaves are different.

mic.strange.jpg

lienluu said:
They are rare because naturally there are just very few of them (as is true of any species). Add to that the fact that micranthum just does not breed very productively. Even the normal form of micranthum is problematic when it comes to breeding and pods (if/when they take) often do not produce many seeds.

This even more true of P. micranthum album and very few people have managed to get flasks of them. The few people I know of who were able to get flasks of them weren't able to get more than 30-50 seedlings out of an entire pod.

Albinistic forms of species are valuable because they are just so rare. A division of the original plant of P. stonei album sold for $25,000. This is the only known example of an albinstic stonei. The same is true of many other albinstic Paph. species.
I never realize that micranthum is so hard to get seeds from (where as most orchids produce 10,000 seeds)
If the good normal micranthum could go for 3,000 dollar then 450 for an album is not too crazy.
Sounds like if somebody offering you a 3,000 dollar micranthum, you probably should bring an expert like Lien along before closing the deal.
On the other hand if you do spend 3,000 to 25,000 dollar on an orchid then maybe price is not a factor anymore.
Lien, If one uses 3,000 dollar to buy 100 micranthum, would he/she have a good chance to get a very good one? since the breeder do use good expensive parent plants to breed anyway, no?

Hien said:
Lien, If one uses 3,000 dollar to buy 100 micranthum, would he/she have a good chance to get a very good one? since the breeder do use good expensive parent plants to breed anyway, no?

Yes certainly you /should/ get some excellent ones but there's never any guarantee of it. Most select and awarded normal coloured P. micranthums go for much less than 3,000. You can get an awarded P. micranthum in the hundreds range. In fact, Hien, if you want a good P. micranthum, I can give you a division of an awarded one. Check your private messages.

L

Lien if you ever make some divisions and want to sell them, please think of me:wink: I'm also in the market for a good micranthum too, if you've got any extras to sell.

The leaves on the undescribed micranthum are very cool. You are the Micranthum Man! I hope your apartment is well guarded:evil: Seriously, your micranthum collection is wonderful.

I'd be happy with a micranthum that would bloom without blasting..............Eric

Back