P. lowii fma. semi-album - a keeper or to be returned?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being 'round
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Won't you please, please help me?"
('Help', The Beatles)

I bought this one as P. lowii fma. albinum (recte: fma. aureum).

As you can see from the pic, when it flowered it turned out, that there are some small spots of anthocyanin on the upper parts of the petals, i.e. the plant is only a semi-albinistic form. A little bit parallel to P. insigne fma. sanderianum vs. fma. sanderiae, it appears to me?

As the plant wasn't exactly inexpensive, I would like to hear from you guys and gals, whether this semi-aureum form is interesting? Or whether I should return/exchange the plant, as the seller by the way kindly has offered?

Looking foreward to hear your opinions/advice!

Kind regards,
Jens

Last edited:
This is a difficult question. It seems to me that the albinism of lowii isn't as absolute as the one of Maudiae for example. It is more like fairrieanum. You can find fairrieanum in pure green and white but there are also albine fairrieanum with a hint of rose on the dorsal.
So it's up to you. Why did you buy this plant? Because you are collecting pure albine Paphs? Because you like a yellow lowii? It is maybe a plus that it isn't as boring as a pure pale yellow flower? Do you want it for making hybrids? ...

If it isn't a strong plant (because it has only one flower), I would return it and wait for an good opportunity to buy a strong and healthy one.

I would be more angry about receiving a plant with no color, a toni semple is known to be a bright display of color, thats why it was made imho

It's a lovely bloom to be honest I didn't even notice the dots on the petals untill I read your post, then I went back and looked and noticed them. I think the flower is stunning as colour goes.

It has one bloom is this the first flowering of the plant if so it should improve year on year. I have not seen many if these to yes a defendant oppion the few I have have not been as solid colour did it have markings I really could it tell you for certain it was a long time ago.

Whether to keep it or not that really is only for you to call. It's not like a clothing or machinery. Indont know how long you have had it and whether the company will take it back.

I've seen a picture of Paph. lowii f. aureum 'Albino Beauty' CHM/AOS that also has a few small dark spots in that area. I don't know whether that one or yours really adheres to the description of f. aureum without reading the publication - if it specifically says there is no anthocyanin pigmentation at all. There is no rule that says f. aureum can only be applied to completely unpigmented forms. How many plants were examined for that description and were they observed through multiple blooms under different conditions. If seedlings from the plant or plants used for the description could have such spots, what would that mean about the real existence of f. aureum.

If the seller is willing to exchange or give credit for the plant, all that really matters is if you are happy with it.

Well, you should ask this question to yourself.
Who cares what others think?
Do you find it good? Does it fit your taste?
If yes, keep it.

The fact that you are posting this question might mean that you don't like it??

I like it a lot! Yellow is my color, so I like yellow flowers of any kind in general. :)

Dear all

Thank you for your input so far! Of course the decision in the end is - and always was - mine!

As a relative newbie - and without friends with the same floral passion as me, your inputs are just very valuable, while making up my own mind!

I actually like the flower, both with respect to form and the quite saturated yellow colour. I'm going to keep it - and to see, what a second flowering brings!

My erstwhile indecision was based on ressource wise considerations: pertaining to economy and not in the least space (I've filled my 3 room apartement with 160 plants - and my work place to the brim...both my own and a couple of my colleagues' offices!).

Never the less, I'll probably at some point in time just have to buy a completely unpigmented sibling! :crazy:

That is a pretty generous seller. I'm not sure they are in the wrong here.

It's one of my 3 very reliable and friendly, german suppliers - and it might help, I think, that I'm a quite reliable customer also. To give them a bit of well deserved promotion, they are by the way: Nebojscha Popow, Hilmar Bauch (Asendorfer Orchidéensucht) and a private, bavarian collector (ebay: xl21200).

I've seen a picture of Paph. lowii f. aureum 'Albino Beauty' CHM/AOS that also has a few small dark spots in that area. I don't know whether that one or yours really adheres to the description of f. aureum without reading the publication - if it specifically says there is no anthocyanin pigmentation at all. There is no rule that says f. aureum can only be applied to completely unpigmented forms. How many plants were examined for that description and were they observed through multiple blooms under different conditions. If seedlings from the plant or plants used for the description could have such spots, what would that mean about the real existence of f. aureum.

Good advice! :clap:

I feel like I'm the Mad Man here - why didn't I think of consulting Ph. Cribbs original description of the aureum form in the first place?! Will do!!

I agree with Emydura, the seller is being very generous in being willing to take it back. I think you got what you paid for. The form is good and I assume that the plant is healthy so, as a Wendy's commercial used to say, "Where's the beef?".

Dear all

As a relative newbie - and without friends with the same floral passion as me, your inputs are just very valuable, while making up my own mind!

My erstwhile indecision was based on ressource wise considerations: pertaining to economy and not in the least space (I've filled my 3 room apartement with 160 plants - and my work place to the brim...both my own and a couple of my colleagues' offices!).

Never the less, I'll probably at some point in time just have to buy a completely unpigmented sibling! :crazy:
Addicted! You're in good company! :D

The question is actually, 'how was it labeled' when you bought it? Since paphs aren't mericlones, the possibility of errant forms is always present. If sold simply as 'paph.lowii v.album (or albinum), then yes, you do have a reason to ask for a return. If, however, it was labeled as something along the lines of 'paph.lowii v.album/albinum x self, or x sib, you have no legitimate recourse since these things are not 100% assured to be identical to the parent, and you're taking a crapshoot when you buy them.

As a rule, I don't like 'alba' (or albinum, alboflavum, or whatever they label it) forms; I always prefer the natural colors. Yours has an interesting shape, and is virtually saturated with yellow. I would hang on to it if it was mine.

I have a paph. philippinense that is half 'alboflavum', but I was happy it bloomed out with the normal colors. The green and white forms just aren't as attractive to me for whatever reason.

Latest posts

Back