P. laevigatum X P. rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabnc

Reaction score
The tag reads P. laevigatum X P. rothschildianum 'Borneo' and the tag is from R.J. Rands Orchids, cross #2226.

I did a couple of searches on ST and enjoyed reading all of the comments about P. laevigatum and how it is considered to be P. philippinense.

There were also some interesting comments about P. rothschildianum 'Borneo' and how many of the labeled clones on the market may really be selfings not divisions of the the awarded plant.

So, I guess what I have is a P. Saint Swithin with questionable parentage :rollhappy:

Would be interested in a critical critique of the flowers. There are two more buds that are still developing.

Not sure what / how to measure ? The dorsal is 2 1/4 in tall and 1 1/2 wide. The petals are 5 in long.

The plant is in a 4" square plastic pot in lava rock. That is the media used by the person I bought the division from last year so I have continued to use it. The plant has and pb growth, the blooming growth and 3 nbs growths.

Any and all comments welcome -- thanks

Charlie
When

Attachments

• Plant July 2013.jpg
    Plant July 2013.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 1st Flower July 2013.jpg
    1st Flower July 2013.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 2nd flower July 2013.jpg
    2nd flower July 2013.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 90
An SS, but a very interestingly colored one! I love the lime green background colour, very attractive, would love to have that in my collection.

Normally a paler pouch is not what one looks for in a St. Swithin but in this case, it complments the whole flower very well. Very attractive color combo and a clean dorsal too.

it is a very nice Saint Swithin. If it came from Ray Rands the parentage is probably true to label.

SS is my favorite rothschildianum hybrid. I have some good plants but nothing with this form.

I would like to have it!!!

Keep it preciously.

I have a St. Swithin from this cross also(origin-also Rands Orchids)...the petal is 8-9" long tho. One time I described it "like a mini PEOY". Easy grower and bloomer(although it hasn't bloomed since I divided last time--3-4 years ago?)

I know it is an old thread but...

I have a St. Swithin from this cross also(origin-also Rands Orchids)...the petal is 8-9" long tho. One time I described it "like a mini PEOY". Easy grower and bloomer(although it hasn't bloomed since I divided last time--3-4 years ago?)

I know it is an old thread but...

I'm all with Stephen (Ozpaph): please, give us a look!

I could not find my old photos, so I will take photos when it blooms next time. Little frog/Rob has a division of mine and I wonder if his plant has bloomed for him yet. It was a good bloomer, but it suddenly refuses to bloom...it still grows very well though, a full pot again now.

Latest posts

Back