P. Hung Shen Wild Cat 'Yellow Valley Winter Joy' SM/DOK 2021, P. White Lady, and Cymbidium tracyanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's dark in the morning, when I go to work; it's dark in the evening, when I return home. Actually, its pitch-dark around 4.30 p.m., and the days are only getting shorter.
However, the Christmas meeting at my local orchid society brought a splendiferous conclusion to the autumn season and spread some light, that shineth in the darkness.

My P. Hung Shen Wild Cat was awarded and earned itself a silver medal. (Because of the present low light, I've had to take the photo with camera light - the link below is to, when I originally posted it, where one actually could see, what it looks like):
20211207_215623.jpg
https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/paph-hung-shen-wild-cat-p-bellatulum-x-p-anitum.52248/It also earned itself a place as best in the category 'Window sill culture' among the plants presented at the meeting. The prize for that was, beside the honour, this P. White Lady:
20211207_215706.jpg
My luck, though, didn't stop here - in the ensuing game of Plant Bingo, I won this magnificent Cymbidium tracyanum with an inflorescense of so far 130 cm.
My only worry now is, firstly, whether I will be able to keep it alive (It's a bit outside my zone of cultural experience); secondly, whether I will ever succeed in getting it to reflower.
20211207_215822.jpg
20211207_215845.jpg
Plant in toto:20211207_215923.jpg
Oh, I almost forgot: it has a real nice scent, somewhat fruity, maybe peachy, maybe with a tinge of patchouli.

Last edited:
Congrats Jens! Well deserved!

The traceyanum is a huge plant that requires lots of room (when big it can spread 2 metres in circumference), intermediate temperatures and cattleya light. Hope you find a good growing area for it! Summering it outside on the east side is great till first frost.

I like White Lady, so lucky you can simply send it my way sometime when spring comes 😁
I know you have a hard time around hybrids, so that's the least I can do for you 😇

It's dark in the morning, when I go to work; it's dark in the evening, when I return home. Actually, its pitch-dark around 4.30 p.m., and the days are only getting shorter.
However, the Christmas meeting at my local orchid society brought a splendiferous conclusion to the autumn season and spread some light, that shineth in the darkness.

My P. Hung Shen Wild Cat was awarded and earned itself a silver medal. (Because of the present low light, I've had to take the photo with camera light - the link below is to, when I originally posted it, where one actually could see, what it looks like):
View attachment 30975
https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/paph-hung-shen-wild-cat-p-bellatulum-x-p-anitum.52248/It also earned itself a place as best in the category 'Window sill culture' among the plants presented at the meeting. The prize for that was, beside the honour, this P. White Lady:
View attachment 30976
My luck, though, didn't stop here - in the ensuing game of Plant Bingo, I won this magnificent Cymbidium tracyanum with an inflorescense of so far 130 cm.
My only worry now is, firstly, whether I will be able to keep it alive (It's a bit outside my zone of cultural experience); secondly, whether I will ever succeed in getting it to reflower.
View attachment 30984
View attachment 30978
Plant in toto:View attachment 30979
Oh, I almost forgot: it has a real nice scent, somewhat fruity, maybe peachy, maybe with a tinge of patchouli.
Congratulations!

View attachment 30975
View attachment 30976
View attachment 30984
View attachment 30978
Plant in toto:View attachment 30979
shocked to see tracyanum in such a small potting. But it’s looking really good. If you can get it through winter in the brightest possible location and summer it outdoors…

Who did domestic abuse on your Paph White Lady!?
Some of its ladylike comportment became a bit ruffled during transportation...
Thank you for the kind words on the Wild Cat!
How much money could I make selling electricity and lights where you live!? :p
I would guess, it could turn out a quite profitable enterprise... but you would have to base it on 100% non-fossil sources! :cool:

Jens, if you're reasonably handy with tools, I can tell you a rather cheap way to
make yourself a grow light fixture for very little money. The bulb(s) are more
expensive than the home made fixture.

Jens, if you're reasonably handy with tools ...
If you remembered my profession, Angela, you might have guessed the answer to that...I'm a psychologist!!
I can tell you a rather cheap way to
make yourself a grow light fixture for very little money. The bulb(s) are more
expensive than the home made fixture.
Please, do! A friend of mine who is the more handy type might be willing to help me out!
Thank you for your kind consideration! Kind regards, Jens

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back