P. Henrietta Fujiwara growing spike...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mrs. Paph

First of all I need to thank my enabler for this plant - Ernie and the fall special at Enlightened Orchids! The spike was the perfect length to not be overly worried about breakage during shipping, and it's now grown considerably and looks to have 3 buds for sure for this bloom, and what looks like it might be a 4th bud, but I wouldn't bet just yet on its being able to fully mature this time around. I decided to do progression shots on this plant, since I just got a new camera from my boyfriend:clap: I'm still learning all the awesome features and trying to be able to use them to their fullest potential, but for now, don't blame the lighting on the camera - purely my laziness and lack of scrounged up equipment for the photo session (case in point, my only peice of black velvet for backgrounds is also one of my practice skirts for skating, and it's not exactly big enough for large shots :rollhappy:)
phfplantandspike111107spc1.jpg

phfspike111107sfilefr7.jpg

~Miss Paph

Quick Update

Took another quick close-up shot now that the spike's gotten so much longer and the buds are further along! I can see the first one swelling and starting to 'pop' at the seems:D It seems to be leaning toward sequential by the rate of development along the spike, which I've decided is perhaps for the best to prevent major crowding...but I guess the more the merrier if they do overlap a couple at a time, even if it's not the best presentation. I can definately see the 3rd bud swelling inside the...my mind escapes me, the 'leaf' thing that goes w/ the individual bud:p, and the 'leaf-thing' of a 4th potential bud is still growing too, but I can't confirm an actual bud inside it at this point.

phf111707sfileaz5.jpg

Not much longer now! A few short hours after that picture I can see a dab of white petals and yellow pouch poking out!!! I can't wait to wake up in the morning and see how much more is visible! ...I'm pretty sure you can never bloom enough Paphs to lose interest in watching this process :) (my BF appreciates that I found this forum so that I don't keep calling and boring him with all the wonderful details of my plants, but I will try not to go TOO overboard w/ pics LOL)

Sorry so slow on the updates! Insanely busy this time of year! Here's an update from Nov. 30th as well as today! Real quick shots, but still give you the idea I hope. Better ones after Christmas w/ the tripod perhaps.
113007smfilejn4.jpg

hfupdate122007smfileeg8.jpg

My only complaint is the slightly offcenter pouch, but I can't complain too much, b/c it's just exactly the color and the overal form I was hoping for! I just love the petal stance...they seem to be saying, Tadaa! :D What a show for a first bloom - one more coming soon that will be smaller, and one more tiny bud I had to nip off just now to save energy for next time! Thanks again Ernie!

Hey, no prob! Nice fat pouch and dorsal. Similar to the ones we kept. One of this plant's siblings was recently awarded (not mine tho).

-Ernie

Very nice good looking plant & flowers. I have some things from Ernie that are in bud or sheath, I'll be posting pics soon. Jim.

this year's flowering

The flower seems to have improved this year, but it looks like there won't be as many blooms. I was actually pleasantly surprised that it bloomed again this year around the same time as last - the first new growth it started stalled out about half grown, so I wasn't sure the second one it started later would make it to blooming size in time. Beautiful flowers And a good grower, what more could I ask for :D

Oh, and I meant to mention that the natural spread of the flower is just shy of 5" - I didn't record (or misplaced) the measurements for the first bloom last year, but it may be just slightly larger this year if memory serves me. :)

Latest posts

Back