P. godefroyae in red

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very beautiful line breeding .
Painstakingly for so many generation to get such solid and smooth color .
Is this a Thai source ? the Thai & Japanese are the most skilled and dedicated godefroyae breeders .

Is that a pure example of the species? For that money I’d want to be sure and see the flower when fully open!
I don't think the red Vulcano red breeding produce fully open flower. They are also smaller blooms but with thicker substance .
I saw only a few dark purple or red flowers which are big and open bloom on the internet, the petals are still somewhat wavy .
Imagine how many more generations of breeding back and forth, and selected to a flat but not solid color to achieve a flat solid red or dark purple .

The colour of this flower is extraordinary........maybe the flower isn't fully open, but if it is.....I'm not convinced by its shape.

Last edited:
Is that a pure example of the species? For that money I’d want to be sure and see the flower when fully open!
it is a reliable well-known breeder here in Thailand
I bought plants from him several times
and there is competition here, I think its a pure godefroyae............
lets see what happens in future

It seems like this red line started from a wild plant called 'Songkran' about a decade ago. Line breeding of this plant produced this intense red coloration. Unfortunately most remain cup shaped. And the few that open flat are rare and highly prized for further hybridization.

I have seen flasks of these breeding and some reds are outcross to the type form as well as the blacks.

Werner, can you get more information from the breeder/seller? Ease of growth and percentage of good flowers (for example)?

If it is a pure species, it might be worth a great deal to a breeder to try to work toward that with better form.

The only “blue” Phal. violaceas ever found in nature were two plants, presumed parent and offspring, collected in the early 1980’s. They were offered for $35,000 at the time. Think of how much money has been made - and is still being made - off their distant progeny.

OMG! I haven't been able to catch my breath, since I put my eyes on it! Do you know, whether the nursery owner could be persuaded to obtain the necessary permits (CITES, etc) to send the plant to yours truly in Denmark?

Kind regards, Jens

OMG! I haven't been able to catch my breath, since I put my eyes on it! Do you know, whether the nursery owner could be persuaded to obtain the necessary permits (CITES, etc) to send the plant to yours truly in Denmark?

Kind regards, Jens
Flasks are being offered by several nurseries in Thailand of this line. Any interested can pm me.

0AB0499A-C5A0-4E30-A8F5-76BC2B8629F0.jpeg370EBE3D-C0AD-402A-8143-9939E4594061.jpeg0878BB6D-FC4A-4DB5-B4B2-2F88165A6257.jpeg

It seems like this red line started from a wild plant called 'Songkran' about a decade ago. Line breeding of this plant produced this intense red coloration. Unfortunately most remain cup shaped. And the few that open flat are rare and highly prized for further hybridization.

I have seen flasks of these breeding and some reds are outcross to the type form as well as the blacks.

Werner, can you get more information from the breeder/seller? Ease of growth and percentage of good flowers (for example)?
Leslie , I have only internet contact , never met him in person .
Thais are normally not good in English, to say it politely.
They are often very shy or not feeling comfortable with westerners.
I get info about plants on sale , but not more.
Foreigners can hardly become a real part of the orchid community here, starts with the language.
The Thai orchid groups have mostly professionals as membership, unlike western societies.

So, if anybody is interested in contacting him , I can send a PM.
Maybe he is open for communication ?

Leslie , you mentioned the plant named Songkran as starting point.
Songkran starts today, its the Thai new year, the biggest holiday and fun party .
Normally a lot of water splashing for days , this year a victim of Covid.

But if anybody is in ChiangMai there is an orchid show starting today.

Happy Easter weekend .

1649823830261.png

Latest posts

Back