P. godefroyae fma. leucochilum and fma. album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The leucochilum and album are respectively a first time and a second time bloomer - from Exotique Plants. I would have liked both of them to be less cupped (the fma album almost looks a wee bit Gardenia-like, especially when seen sideways).
Nevermind, they'll get a lease, though, of 1-2 years more to see how and if things develop:
20220817_202042.jpg20220817_201728.jpg20220817_201341.jpg20220817_201909.jpg

Last edited:
Much have been said about the purported differences between godefroyae and leucochilum beyond the unspotted outer lip of the latter. This makes, by the way, no sense at all when it comes to the album form.
Even our in so many other ways brillant and dearly beloved Leslie can in this respect be found barking up a rather peculiar tree:
Besides providence, in my experience the godefroyae albums are bigger plants and flowers than the leucochilum albums (which also has narrower pouch and taller inflorescences).
If my album, above, is indeed godefroyae, which its broader pouch, according to Leslie's description, indicates, it ought also to be the bigger plant of the two, which it very clearly isn't!
Thus, yet, another example of the infutilty of the endeavour to make a clear distinction between the two and establish them as separate species in their own right.

Makes so much more sense to subsume all these plants under godefroyae with leucochilum as a colourforn and all albums as godefroyae fma. album (doesn't it, Rudolf 😉)!

Last edited:
Jens, the flower of your true P. leucochilum looks quite normal and I think it won't change much with future flowering. Except, you give the flower the help that Stephen mentioned. The cupped flower is a 'side effect' you have to live with of the line breeding to achieve these dark and round flowers..... at least in my eyes. The album form may be improve in the future .... 👍

........ Makes so much more sense to subsume all these plants under godefroyae with leucochilum as a colourforn and all albums as godefroyae fma. album (doesn't it, Rudolf 😉)!
Indeed, it does make a lot more sense !
The traits our estimated Leslie mentiones are so soft so you can't use them to distinguish species from each other. They fit to one species as well as vice versa to the other one. Sorry Leslie ! 🤗

a bit of cottonwool packing will sort that out!!
.... I think it won't change much with future flowering. Except, you give the flower the help that Stephen mentioned.
All advice are welcome, thank you!
Though, maybe, it's a language thing, or maybe, it's just me being a tad slow: but how do you do with the cottonwool/how do you pack it?

The album looks like it has a nun’s cap lol.
Although, she at the moment seems to tend more in the direction of sister inferior, only God knows, if she in the due course of time might aspire to follow Sr. Guard N. O'Pansies as Abess of The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence! 😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back