P. druryi - bud development, fast or slow?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mrs. Paph

Just scored a lovely, robust looking druryi, more than a handful of growths, and at least 2 appear to be in very low sheath (one I'd say for sure, 1 or 2 more suspect also)! :drool::D The media looks to be a type that I could easily adapt to watering in my conditions, but the pot is not clear, as I prefer, to help me see what's going on down there and adjust watering. That's where my question comes in, from the just baaarely visible stage, how long might it take the spikes to develop and flower? If it's likely to be a few months before it even starts opening blooms, I really feel like I might be better off very carefully repotting it at this point to make sure I get the watering right, and to make sure there's nothing funky going on in the middle of the pot. Got a Masdie the other day too, and was able to just slide that out of a black pot right into a clear one, but it was a CHC based media like I'm used to, and the fine roots held everything together for the swap...don't think that's likely to happen so easily with the druryi though. What do the great minds of Slippertalk think? :confused:

I think most folks keep their druryi too dark and cool.

These guys should be treated like cactus! Full sun and summer temps in the 90's. They definitely keep up with sun lovers like big vandas and Brasalova digbyana. With conditions like that they grow and bloom at normal fast rates.

Depending on how its been grown til now, you may need to acclimate the plant to the higher light/temp conditions that will really get this plant happy.

Feel free to give it the same water/nutrition/substrate as your henryanums, but give these guys the sun!

Thanks all! You confirmed my suspicions - I had already started soaking new media while waiting for replies :p Rick - I've heard they like a little 'abuse' :) or what might seem like abuse for other Paphs! I have it on more of a medium light shelf for now, with plans to move it closer to the lights over time (until spikes get in the way). Must be fairly happy though to be spiking, so I won't be too timid about giving it light, & on a bad day in summer it will get 90 under the lights w/ the AC struggling to keep up (thus I asked to be sure about the Masdie I bought - it went through last summer in their GH w/ 90 plus days) I've initiated buds on a dygbiana primary hybrid both indoors over winter & outdoors in summer, so hopefully the druryi does well for me :)

Update - the sheaths are swelling really quickly!! It has at least 3, probably a 4th one coming, plus two near blooming size growths and a start or two. I'm wondering if perhaps it was grown for quite awhile with lower light/cooler temps, then got moved to a better spot to cause it to all of a sudden bud like crazy? :) Or do these normally clump first and then bloom like mad? In any case, I had to get soaking my CHC's fast to repot! Oh the anticipation :)

I've only had one up till now, and I started with a 5 or 6 growth plant in bloom. It just kept growing and blooming like mad while I had it for 5 or so years. I think it was another victim to high K feeding, and it became very susceptible to rots and producing stunted growths.

I purchased a seedling from Sam last year, and its growing very quickly. Already two new growths, but I still don't think its big enough to bloom yet.

Mine's a bit susceptible to rots as well. Just lost a couple of growths to rot last weekend. I've moved it really close to the fan now.

Back