P. dianthum harvest time

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember where I saw it, and I'm not sure it was for slippers. But I remember a paper that talked about measuring the length and girth of pods, and tracking the rate of change to note 2 fast growth periods.

I think the pods were good to go after the 2nd fast growth period ended.

Of the 80 or so species of paphs, I think of set pods on at least 20 now, and have covered all subgenera. Parishii/dianthum seem to be real slugs compared to the rest of pardopetalum, but they are faster than virtually any barbata I've done, which can clear a year without much problem.

I don't worry too much about missing paph pods splitting. They have a prolonged period of yellowing and browning, and the split seams becoming prominent. In comparison Phalaenopsis capsules can give you virtually no warning and split wide open in a night!

Is'nt there somewhere a list or something available that would give an indication of how long one should wait before a green pod is ready for sowing? ... The above is about species and ripening of complexes could be even more guess work I presume.

with over 30,000 species and 100,000 hybrids, that'd be some list!

I can't remember where I saw it, and I'm not sure it was for slippers. But I remember a paper that talked about measuring the length and girth of pods, and tracking the rate of change to note 2 fast growth periods.

I think the link was posted on one of the two orchid forums. The article was written by Marylin Light. I read it and it sounded like an interesting technique. Goolge might be your friend in this case. Or try to track down Marylin Light.

If you find the link to the article, please post it, I would like to print it out.

Kyle

Latest posts

Back