P. dianthum harvest time

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there anyone to long how long does is take before harvesting dry seeds on P. dianthum, please?
I think it should take more than a year, but how "exactly"?:)

10 months seems real long for a pardopetalum. Was that a guestimate Uri?

I don't have any experience with dianthum, but my lowii capsules won't last longer than 4-5 months. So far the longest multifloral I have experience with is 8 months (supardii).

Maybe dianthum is the exception.

Matt Gore has done parishii that should be close too.

I had good germination with parishii harvesting the pods at 7 months, but I harvested green. Not sure how long they would have taken to be ready for dry harvest.

- Matt

Actually, I see that it was just a bit longer than 7 months ... I pollinated on March 24, then sowed the seed on the first of November.

- Matt

Funny...haynaldianum is a close realative, and that's only a little more than 3 months as I recall....Take care, Eric

It sounds like parishii and dianthum are special (slow) cases for multiflorals.

Learn something new every day!

Thank's a lot for your answers!:) :)

Is it normal that the pollinated flower doesn't fade whereas the pod seems to grow a little?

I'm not 100% sure the pollination is a success or a failure, even after 45 days! ! :confused:

hmm
I don't think haynaldianum is that close to dianthum - ok they are close in the taxonomic subtree but have at look at the flowers - haynaldianum is close to lowii and dianthum is close to parishii that's about it imo.

My haynaldianum pods took at least 10 month too - and germinations has always been very poor with that specie at least on the media I use .

Eric Muehlbauer said:
Funny...haynaldianum is a close realative, and that's only a little more than 3 months as I recall....Take care, Eric

Paul said:
Thank's a lot for your answers!:) :)

Is it normal that the pollinated flower doesn't fade whereas the pod seems to grow a little?

I'm not 100% sure the pollination is a success or a failure, even after 45 days! ! :confused:

The time to flower wilt after pollination seems long to me too. Again I've never done parrishii or dianthum so can't say for sure. The only species I've done that holds up that long after pollination is hirsuitisimum. Everything else usually lasts only for one or two weeks for me, with henryanum wilting in just a day or so after pollination. I will have to defer to Uri or Matt for their answers.

dianthumpodgm3.jpg

The pollinated flower with the pod is on the left, you can see it's a little bigger than the non-pollinated flower pod (on the top-right)
what do you think? is it good or not?

You'll know when the bloom dries up and doesn't drop... but it looks good so far.

- Matt

Ok Matt, I just find that the pod is quite small, but it's probably normal?

I just checked my pod list and I harvested a 'selfing pod' from dianthum at 7 months and germination was very good. The selfing pod was one of the largest I've had on a multi floral. Your pod looks to be progressing the way mine did. I used liemianum onto the same dianthum and has produced good seed with the same harvest time and the pod being only half the size of the selfing. I was told that both pods would have been ready at 5 months. A note though, cultural environments will alter maturity times of Paph pods greatly.
Roy

Thank's a lot, Roy!:clap:

Last question: does this species need a special media for sowing or a standart Paph media is suitable?

Is'nt there somewhere a list or something available that would give an indication of how long one should wait before a green pod is ready for sowing? On what do you base the decision to say that the pod is ready? I do not know whether it is good or bad but I sometimes feel the pod and when it is not hard it is for sure that there is nothing going on inside. Has some research been done on the topic. One would not like to loose a pod by harvesting too early. The above is about species and ripening of complexes could be even more guess work I presume.

Latest posts

Back