P. curtisii and allegedly P. superbiens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jens, you have there two pretty and well photographed flowers. đź‘Ť
The first one is clearly var. curtisii while the second one could be var. superbiens due to the different shape of the pouch, narrower at the mouth, and the different shape of the dorsal.......but I'm not sure about it. I always have problems to distinguish one from the other and even taxonomists don't feel certain should they split both or not.

I think you're right in questioning the superbiens ID. I really would like to see more flowers of the rediscovered superbiens for variation in the flowers before trusting the tag.

Second one looks like the hybrid to me made.with callosum. Unfourtunatly they were sold as species at many places.

As I've in another thread referred to Olaf GruĂź' (ORG) very illustrative post about the distinction between curtisii and the rediscovered 'true' superbiens, I thought I better do likewise here before the discussion goes completely off rails:
Your plant is really a true Paphiopedilum curtisii. Some years ago the true Paph. superbiens was found again and this Shows the clear differences to curtisii. Her eat first two different clones of curtisii

View attachment 16835
Paphiopedilum curtisii

and now the true superbiens View attachment 16836 Paphiopedilum superbiens

Here an old print of the typical Paph. superbiens

View attachment 16837

Best greetings

Olaf

Both lovely! The superbiens looks like the original description's drawing.

As I've in another thread referred to Olaf GruĂź' (ORG) very illustrative post about the distinction between curtisii and the rediscovered 'true' superbiens, I thought I better do likewise here before the discussion goes completely off rails:
Thanx so much for that reference in context…. I had guessed hybrid also.. ;-)

Some people say you can't tell the difference by the foliage. I disagree.
You can't tell them apart by the foliage. If you see a large number of seedlings, you will see nearly identical flowers yet the leaves are quite different even among the seedlings from the same batch. Most will have light silver background with checkered dark green pattern as expected. There will be quite a few with different leaves.

Latest posts

Back