P. concolor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

dsc0136zy1sn3.jpg

I bloomed this concolor last month...got it from Cal-Orchid at the GNYOS show...asked James Rose how it might turn out..as concolor has the potential to be the ugliest paph imaginable. He told me, very honestly, that it should be attractive based on the breeding, but you can never tell....So here it is..and I'm happy. This photo, by the way, is the one I privately sent to Lien Luu to show what the Nikon D50 can do...(my daughter's camera...she took the picture, won't let me touch it!) ..I won't bother to waste bandwith showing the pic I took with my Nikon Coolpix L2....Take care, Eric

Edit: full-sized photo can still be found here: http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/6323/dsc0136zy1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...it's too small, I can't see it... =)

Looks like a very good camera and a really good P. concolor... took a while to look at it though...lol

-Pat

I agree. My monitor it set at a high resolution, and the image doesn't fit on it. Can you downsize it for better viewing?

very nice detail on the concolor! (just need to shrink it to 1/4-1/2 the size and then saving it as a new file)

I put in a resized photo. Hope that's ok!

I like your concolor. They are starting to grow on me. I think it's the yellowish tint that turned me off for a while.

Beautiful flower. I definitely need one. I've never seen ugly concolor. Have you got photo to make me aware of the "risk"?

Thanks for the resizing! Actually, the typical concolor is pretty ugly.....usually with long leaves, larger than most brachy's, with a grayish cast. The flowers tend to be unusually small for the size of the plant, with narrow petals and a curvy-pointy "cashew" shaped pouch. Pre-CITES, I think most concolors came from Thailand...the collected plants mostly matched this ugly description. However, some concolors came from China, and these were more attractive with rounder flowers, better pouches, and more compact colorful leaves....Fortunately, the chances of getting a good concolor are much better now. As I recall, the Manual of Cultivated Orchids had a photo of a real dog, but I'm not sure...Take care, Eric

Very sharp! I love the fact that concolor is so variable. I know that it's unpleasant for those of you who have a certain shape in mind when you buy them, and even more so for those who wish to get awards. Still, I like the element of surpise now and then.

Anyway, yours has a very nice shape, and the spots are nice.

- Matt

Thanks! I used to have a Chinese concolor, got it shortly after the CITES ban...it had originated as a collected plant..very similar to the one in the photo, but a touch paler, and occasionally with the faintest pink flush....really gorgeous. Had it for about 12-13 years before it finally kicked...the longest I have ever kept a brachy...Take care, Eric

Eric Muehlbauer said:
Had it for about 12-13 years before it finally kicked...the longest I have ever kept a brachy...Take care, Eric
Why? Is the brachy life limited? :confused:

Nice photo and flower. I too picked one up from Cal Orchids at the N.Y. show. My bud is about to open in a few more days. I'm so anxious to see it that I brought it on vacation with me to S. Carolina. Hope mine is as nice as yours.

Latest posts

Back