P. caudatum type Phrags and red sticky stuff.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
A looong time ago, I think Jason mentioned (on another forum) that a sign of happy Phrag. species was this reddish sap near the base of the plant.

I've asked this once before (at sof) and no one could explain. Does anyone know what I am talking of? Jason? do you remember this or am I dreaming? My caudatum types are LADEN with the stuff and have been for a long time. Today though, about 3 weeks after moving my lindenii over to S/H, I noticed what looked like rot. All over the base of a new growth, and on an older one. But when I removed the leaves, no mush, no scent, just sticky sap.

WTF is this stuff? What causes it? anyone?

anyone?

Heather

The last time I can recall you mentioning sticky "stuff" in relation to phrags was in another forum and it started off topic banter with TADD - Haven't seen one in this forum but I "could" have missed it.

Cheers
Stephan

Heather said:
No problem! I am all about off topic! :)
S/H = Semi Hydro - for a good explanation, check out Ray's site.
www.firstrays.com
Thanks for the link. WOW... Think no one over here have used this tecnique yet. Perhaps I'll be first thanks to you.

I'm not sure if it's necessarily the sign of a "happy paph" but these long petalled species and hybrids seem to have this stuff, more so during the summer it seems. They're not coalescent like a rot would be, and don't have that stench either. I have NO idea what they are made of.

Jmoney said:
I'm not sure if it's necessarily the sign of a "happy paph" but these long petalled species and hybrids seem to have this stuff, more so during the summer it seems. They're not coalescent like a rot would be, and don't have that stench either. I have NO idea what they are made of.

Thanks Jason.
FWIW, there has never been any issue with the plants and this stuff (at least for me), it doesn't seem harmful to the plants in any way, it's just in copius amounts. More on my caudatum and lindenii than the other two (popowii/warsce. and wallisii). It is more sap-like than anything else I could describe.

If I took a photo of my lindenii though, you'd all think it had this nasty case of Erwinia. I seriously thought it was a goner last night until I started pulling a couple "infected" leaves off the small new growth.

I'd love to know if anyone's ever analyzed this stuff.

Shadow said:
Thanks for the link. WOW... Think no one over here have used this tecnique yet. Perhaps I'll be first thanks to you.
Just know that not everyone who has tried S/H has been successful. I've had mixed results, but it certainly is worth trying. Just keep watching the roots.

I don't know....any type of reddish sticky stuff on the base of caudatum leaves always turned out to be some kind of rot for me.....does it have a rusty look to it? Take care, Eric

Back