P. bellatulum and P. concolor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
Fairly normal looking brachys, but I was having fun with a new lens: Olympus 60mm/2.8 macro. I have a few macro lens, but this is a pretty nice lens, and I'm pretty happy about it so far. Olympus has been always strong in macro-photography. The photos were taken about a month ago.

I got both species from Orchids by Hausermann.

This is the 1st time flowering:

Paphiopedilum bellatulum 'Fv' x sib, CH-20827

I think P. concolor is Tom Kalina's breeding.

Paphiopedilum concolor 'Select' x 'Fox Valley'

Phalaenopsis tetraspis 'C1' and Paphiopedilum concolor 'Select' x 'Fox Valley'

It's an amazingly vigorous plant, this is the 2nd time flowering. It took 8-9 months to mature the 2nd growth. It has 3 flowers.

This is the 1st time (Oct 2012):

Paphiopedilum concolor

It's interesting how different they are. For the largest bottom flower, NS was 51.58mm in 2012 (1st flowering) and 60.27mm in 2013 (17% increase). The shape is different, too. I personally like the less round, more triangular, 2nd-time flowers, which look more natural to me.

'Fox Valley' is Tom's breeding. It is quite nice. I don't think I have ever bought a bad plant from him.

Love that concolor!!! Nice shape and 3 flowers too! Great job ! Do you grow these under t5's? How many bulbs and how far? Thanks!

Eric, compared to NYC, the sky is bluer in AK. But Olympus camera contributes to the blueness.

Papheteer, due to low RH, I have to use a grow tent, and the only light source is T5HO and LED grow light. T5HO has 4 bulbs (6500K) to cover 2x4' area, and it is about 8-10" between the bulbs and top of the leaves, 13-14h/day. In the winter, I can use all 4 bulbs, but I use 2-3 bulbs during the summer (heat problem in the encolosed space). About 1000-1400fc with 4 bulbs. So it is getting probably a bit more light than your setup. But I've moved them to lower intensity now (under LED grow light). P. niveum isn't doing so well, though.

Clean Alaskan air may have too much oxygen. I might die like a fish out of water there! :p

That's true. But in the winter, you would be ok. We have lots of smog issues when temp is < -20F. Because of temperature inversion, exhaust from cars and wood stoves can't rise.

Dot, the P. tetraspis 'C1' in the background flowers almost non-stop. I started to wonder if there is something wrong with my growing environment.

I'm crazy about your concolor, three flowers is very good. Once common but now-a-days not seen much. Probably a result of line breeding darker and rounder flowers.

Back