P. barbigerum, catching up on posts!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mrs. Paph

I have spikes coming up on these plants again, as well as the other two that didn't bloom for the first time last year, and never got around to posting them, soooo, before it comes to the embarrassment of posting both year's bloomings at the same time, here's the photos from last year! These are the barbigerums from Ross (Paphreek), and last year 1 colored and 1 album plant bloomed for the first time :)

I know I have the measurements written down somewhere, but I'm not going to tear up the house looking for them given that I've got oodles of buds working right now that I can measure when they open :) Interestingly, of the 4 seedlings I have, the album are as or much more vigorous than the colored ones! They're all nice and packing on the growths though, looks to be double or better the number of flowers this year over last! Nice Job again on the cross Ross!

Spiking tips...send them to me! :evil: :rollhappy: They've grown very well for me - got them one mature size growth plus I think 2-3 tiny starts each, and they've grown like weeds! Not sure if I have any 'secrets'. I counted sheaths today and each of the 4 plants has 5 this year! These photos are first bloom seedlings, so I did have to wait a bit for them to clump up first. I grow indoors under lights, A/C is set to 80 during the day in the summer, making it up to 85 at worst under the lights, 77 at night, and set at 68ish daytime in the winter, 55ish at night if I remember right (it's been a Long Hot summer here in OK! lol). I have a room humidifier in the room, but even when full it is not as high as I'd Prefer (generally under 50% except after watering), and I have an oscillating fan on the other side of the room set to low to keep the air moving a bit (a recently opened Psychopsis bloom bobs in the breeze). Media is CHC getting larger as the pot size does, plus charcoal, and if large enough pots aliflor/hydroton goes in to add more air space near the bottom, but this is just what works indoors at my temps/air movement, watering. I also let some sort of sheet moss grow in the pots all along the outside, where it gets light through the clear pots, transferring healthy old chunks to new pots when I repot. This last bit was started on a whim about two years ago, which was the first time I started noticing moss able to grow (not on the surface though, too dry there), and how happy the roots seemed to be when they stretched out to the pot edges and found the humid little pockets it makes. Not directly related to bloom induction, but these plants do have Great roots and that never hurts to help the plant Respond to environmental cues to bloom!

Spiking tips...send them to me! :evil: :rollhappy: They've grown very well for me - got them one mature size growth plus I think 2-3 tiny starts each, and they've grown like weeds! Not sure if I have any 'secrets'. I counted sheaths today and each of the 4 plants has 5 this year! These photos are first bloom seedlings, so I did have to wait a bit for them to clump up first.....(a recently opened Psychopsis bloom bobs in the breeze). ....

Thanks a lot, and maybe some more photos!!!! ? please :)! Jean

more pics

Since Jean said Please! ;) Here are a couple quick teaser photos until I get around to taking some with better background & lighting!

Psychopsis and friends - I got it from our society auction in bud in August! From left to right, some littles, also newly acquired in Sept at a special collection auction at the society are labeled Den. jenkensii, Den. lichenastrum, next to them is a mini white/yellow Phal my husband got me for Valentines Day (mounted on ecoweb just for a fun experiment), then Sedirea japonica, and Rynchovola Jimminey Cricket, Onc. Twinkle pink form with 4 spikes coming, and at the bottom a perpetually flowering Primcolor that I moved at the wrong time and the bud opened up upside down.

Next is a quick shot of the barbigerums right now! Two are clearly bigger and have filled the next size pot up that they went into this spring, but the other 2 clones also have 5 sheaths each coming on the larger plants - the middle of the 3 smaller ones is a division of one of the albums that fell off during repotting, it has one sheath coming :D The back row is a few more clones of henryanum that are unbloomed, some unique clones, some divisions that fell off others during potting this spring.

An example of the moss, not sure what type, in the pot of my newly awarded henryanum! The barbigerums are not currently as good an example b/c the ones that moved up a pot size didn't have as much moss relative to the new pot size to transfer in, so I guess they'll need awhile for the moss to catch up to the new pot size lol

And last...sorry, this is a little mean since I don't have time for proper pictures...a sneak peek of the henry-parade that's going on in my grow room right now!!!

Latest posts

Back