P. barbatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinR

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one is labelled as P. barbatum nigritum, but I don't see where the nigritum comes in. From other threads in the past I conclude that it is not nigritum. I include some photos next to other flowers including P. gratrixianum to give an idea of the dimensions, it is not as mini as some others posted here I think. It is 10cm high and 8cm wide. There is another flower coming up on another growth in the same pot, but the leaf pattern is quite different. I probably got two seedlings in the one pot, so it will be interesting to see how that one comes out.

20220213_112747.jpg
20220213_112803.jpg
20220213_110040.jpg20220213_110024.jpg

Attachments

• 20220213_112909.jpg
    20220213_112909.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Very colourful window-sill and a pretty Paph. callosum (I would also think)
What is the difference between callosum and barbatum? Or is barbatum a synonym?

No, both are accepted species but not easy to distinguish. There are differences in disribution range, the leaves and the main difference seems the the angle of the petals. With P. callosum the angle is +/- 45° and with P. barbatum much flatter.

Thanks all for the input. It turns out there was a fairly lengthy discussion of the differences between barbatum and callosum in 2014 here

To quote Cribb:

"With a range of variation that is virtually continuous between the extremes of northern Thailand P. callosum and southern Malaysia P barbatum, it might seem reasonable to consider them conspecific. However, the extremes are readily distinguishable and whilst realizing the biological reality, it would undoubtedly cause considerable nomenclature confusion to reduce P. callosum into the synonymy of P. barbatum, or even treat it as a subspecies or variety of the later. Recognizing P callosum and P barbatum as specifically distinct is a compromise that is nomenclaturally and horticulturally satisfactory."

I have barbatum v. nigritum that is supposed to be bloom size, actually I see remains of a dried spike. The plant is very small!! That’s a young Depearl plant in back of it for size comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 6
Back