P. Addicted Phillip 2010

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mrs. Paph

I'm rather proud of this one from Antec! It's P. phil. var. roebellinii x P. adductum. I regret to say I Didn't save any more info, and the penciled tag just says "phil x add", though I know the online listing gave a clonal for the phil - Red Ribbons/Red Streamers maybe? It was one of the first Paphs I got (against the usual advice to get a Maude type for windowsill growing :evil: ) It's grown nicely for me though, and bloomed under lights the first time a few years after I got it, with 4 blooms, and then again with 4 blooms two years later. This time around it took a three year break, and only has 3 blooms, but they're all stunning and only slightly decrease in size from the first, which is almost 8 inches natural height :clap: I'm hoping for more/spike later though, as the plant is finally becoming multi growth now, and this blooming could be less due to the stress of too-warm winters while I was in TX (where it didn't bloom at all). Again I apologize for the odd look of the cream colored wall background - but the colors should be correct!
Here's a wider view of it in a group picture:

A close up:

And a side view:

I'm on a linux machine right now, or I'd do a better job of sizing photos and post one of the old ones (the 2 previous blooms were before I was on the forum!) As it is I'm posting these to facebook and then stealing the smaller sized files from there so I don't have to wait on fixing the other computer that I'm more familiar with the software :p

Lovely blooms and plant collection!
Bummer it didn't bloom in Texas! I will give my Addicted Phillip a talking to so I see blooms someday when it is no longer a seedling!

:clap: :clap: LOVELY! :drool: :drool:
I have an Addidcted Philip too - nice multi X!

Very nice. "Red Streamers" is a well known roebellinii clone. I have a roebelinni seedling with it as one of the parents.

David

That is one wild dorsal on your closeup PIC! It looks like flames flickering!
Great plant as well
PS Don't blame TX for your plant not blooming. I have close to 30 multis in spike/bud now and have bloomed many,many paphs in the 21 yrs of growing them here in TX!

Well, growing under lights I know light didn't change, and I've been using DI water throughout all my moves, and I had a heck of a time with my leaky apartment in winter in TX - if it did get cold it got cold Fast, so to be safe (from pipes bursting etc.) I left things set to heat more often than not, and I came home to an 80-90 degree apartment many days when it got sunny :( I don't think that was good for blooming signals! It got hotter than that in summer too, so one too many stressors is my best guess. But hey, the plants are growing and blooming better, and the bills are lower to keep decent temps in a house, so I'm happy!

Thanks Dot. Ms Paph, So it was the crappy apartment you had to live in. I'm so glad you cleared up where the blame belongs. I'm also very pleased you were able to move to much better living conditions. Now for the greenhouse!:evil:

Yes, yes, I fear I generalized much too much by saying TX, Rick! :p Sorry! The blame lies in the apartment and complex managers, and was exacerbated by the fact that it's hotter in TX than where I'm originally from...I don't wish to be in an apartment again, but if I am I will try to scrape up money to go see it first, instead of relying on digital pics....The windows were single pane and leaked, and I found out a month before I left that the HVAC hadn't seen routine maintenence in who knows how long....behind where the filter goes was clogged up with SLUDGE, and it started dripping out all over and flooding the unit below. Once their service rep showed up, he explained to me that that was likely why my electric bill was Crazy even with it set hot in summer :( He then told me that per his contract with the company, he wasn't supposed to actually talk to me at All, just do a bare minimum fix, but he got pretty talkative during the 2 hrs it took him to clean the Mud out of the unit, which was literally trapped from years of air going through it, probably without filters with some of the previous tenants...not to mention I have allergies and asthma and had to live in that air for 2 yrs...sore subject... PSA: The grate type thing behind your HVAC filter is not naturally black in color, it should be shiny - it's metal and should be cleaned every so often, not left to sludge up! Ah the things you learn when you're away from home and can't take for granted that your parents are keeping things running in the house!
But yes, I think I do deserve a greenhouse for all the money I saved with a cheap rent place - If I even did come out ahead after the electric bill LOL

better pic

Ok, so the background color was still bothering me - in my mind a cream background should be better than blue with plant lights, but the wall color just didn't work. Here's another shot of where the plant sits in my plant room. Don't worry, it's not touching the lights, the angle just makes it look that way.

I also found an older pic from 3-4yrs ago the last time this bloomed. Despite the lower flower count this time, the blooms do seem to be a little larger/sturdier looking this time! And the staking job isn't nearly so laughable!

PS, the lights are full spectrum, so the colors are correct on my screen compared to looking at it in person sitting in a sunny window.

Thanks for the updated pics at a glance, past and present it appears you have improved in your culture and presentation! Even with a lower flower count
AND The updated apartment nightmare story was a bonus treat!

Haha, yeah....it's easier to see the humor in the apartment horror story the longer I've been out of the apartment! I was so mad during and after the ordeal... I had to wait overnight for the repair guy to come, but was mad enough at the complex that I refused to turn off the AC and cook at night, even if it ruined the unit. But to stop the flooding into the unit below I had to suck out the backed up condensed water with the only thing I had - a turkey baster. I still haven't bought a new one, b/c it makes me grumble looking at them LOL

Wow my gosh! those are all lovely!!! such TALL stems, too! very impressive!

Back