• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

OZ Phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troy,
She has some interesting species... but I have to wonder where she sources?? Hard to find species. Good prices. Persistent stubbornness in not sharing where she gets them from. Makes one go, hmmmmmmmmmm!?!?!?!?!

the prices are 5 - 20 times higher than I'm willing to pay, there are some great crosses but at ridiculous cost!!!

Some of her prices are good but some are inflated like nobodys business. I mostly look at the species.
She is coming out to speak next month at our society. I am curious...

Mount prospect has been in business a long time. Being in Brooklyn taxes and costs are pretty high and slipper type things in this area have historically been higher. In the city everything is more

It's also been common practice to not reveal sources because people then go direct to the source. If you depend on selling for living and go to all those shows to sell which is a drag, having your customers bail for your supplier doesn't pay the bills

Elmer Nj

Mount Prospect is in NJ. The prices are a little high but I always try to buy from them as they look out for stuff i like and are a Mom & Pop. Now stop jacking my thread!

I find it highly suspicious when someone offering rare species refuses to reveal an oversea's source. To think the average Joe is going to take any business from a major operation is funny. She has been the sole individual in the orchid world (thus far) that I have run into that refuses to share where she got orchids from.

:) you've been fortunate, then in having open sources. In the past this was very prevalent. I started buying in the early '80s and it was very common to get abrupt responses to this question, or just a general reply. One Virginia vendor years back when I asked where she got her certain phal species from that I was looking to buy got very polite and chilly and wouldn't help me after that. I'm sure with the Internet things are much more open now, but usually an old dog isn't going to change its tricks

:) you've been fortunate, then in having open sources. In the past this was very prevalent. I started buying in the early '80s and it was very common to get abrupt responses to this question, or just a general reply. One Virginia vendor years back when I asked where she got her certain phal species from that I was looking to buy got very polite and chilly and wouldn't help me after that. I'm sure with the Internet things are much more open now, but usually an old dog isn't going to change its tricks

I think it is a little bit paranoid for sellers to try to be mysterious .
1) Most if not the majority of buyers (at least in my case , I would like to know the sources of the plants, to feel assured that the plants I bought from the resellers came from great/talented hybriders, or using selected parents, after all most plants are not in flower when we buy them)
2) we buy too little quantity , a few plants here and there , too much bothersome to go thought the hassle to deal with importing.
3) the tiny quantity that individual buyers suggest would make the source hybridizers laugh, and would not result in any whole saving anyway.

I find it highly suspicious when someone offering rare species refuses to reveal an oversea's source. To think the average Joe is going to take any business from a major operation is funny. She has been the sole individual in the orchid world (thus far) that I have run into that refuses to share where she got orchids from.
actually for me , this would have the opposite result .
It would be the reason for me to less likely to buy something not in flower and not knowing the provenance .

Latest posts

Back