OZ Phrag besseae "Oval"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JC94030

Hi,
The best blooms are coming as the weather gets cooler. I just got this plant from Orchid Zone. I call it Phrag besseae "Oval". [pardon my lack of imagination]
Anyway, the shape is quite something. The color is accurate also -- very intense. I have to decide what to do with the pollen.
It is just opening, so I will post the dimensions when it hits its full size.
I am also waiting for the next bud as the petal tips are a little damaged.
JC

CIMG5487.jpg

CIMG5488.jpg

It's fantastic. I love both the shape and intense color. It's great.:smitten:

It is so full.
Is it the angle of the photo, for some reason the right petal looks bigger than the left?

My micron closed short circuit because I was dribbling in the keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am amazement Without words

Hi John, good acquisition; but maybe it should be called 'Round'! I'm just wondering, thsi plant obviously is branching. Is besseae a branching plant or is this a mix w/ dalessandroi?

Regarding branching, Terry has been selecting for branching on all his Phrag breeding so it just may be a trait that is enhanced. I don't think there was ever any intentional mingling of dalessandroi. Also when the plants get large they tend to throw out side branches.
JC

Hmmm? I've noticed some vendors quoting that besseae are branching but mostly I thought they're single bloomers. If that's something that being bred into the species and hybrids it's good. [If not true to nature.]

I agree that it is not a normal trait of besseae. And branching the besseae that I have seen means 2-3 flowers open together. (not like a dalle...) On some of the hybrids, there is a lot of branching.
JC

Latest posts

Back