• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Oyster Shell

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LWSIS

Hello all. Does anyone out there know where I can get some crushed oyster shell for top dressing my paphs? I am looking to buy locally if possible, require maybe 2 lbs at most and live in Bayside, Queens? Thank you, Larry

Duh-Thanks Dot! Pet supply store? Just curious-what is oyster shell used for with regard to pets? Larry

You'd probably have better luck at a feed store but the problem is it comes in 50# bags. Ground oyster shell is a type of grit for poultry. I'm not sure if it might be used in aquariums but even then I don't think you'd be able to buy a pound or two. Do you belong to an orchid club? You might be able to buy a pound or two from another member or find others that are interested & divy up a bag!

I looked at all my local pet supply places and only found oyster shell mixed with other ingredients. Salt was one of the biggest other ingredients. Not good for obvious reasons. I wonder if plain oyster shell is out of favor for bird lovers? I found powdered oyster shell online but just went ahead and got some agricultural lime from my garden center until I can locate some crushed oyster locally.

For a small collection, just go to the nearest Petland. They have cans of crushed oyster shell for caged birds...its pretty cheap. That's what I use. obviously, if you have a really large collection and need tons of the stuff, an ag place or a garden center would be OK...but otherwise, just get the cans at Petland.....Take care, Eric

Zillions of Petlands around here-Thanks Eric. Or maybe a trip to a seafood restaurant, order some oysters and put the shells in my pocket!

People shy away from the 50# bag at feed stores. Can you use it for something other than top dressing orchids? Do you have a garden path? The 50# bag should be less than $10! It doesn't spoil. I at one time was going to order from Repot me but come on $5.15 for 1.5 pounds & your not done yet - you get to pay shipping on top of that!!! Just call me frugal - that's when I headed to the feedstore!

O.K. then, I'm definately going to have to check out the local feed store. I really don't need that much, but I can store it in the garage and maybe offer some to others. I know I spent at least $5 for the lime I bought. Thanks, Rose.

We've got tons of Petcos and PetSmarts but no Petlands. I'll have to visit a feed store.

Petsmart in Atlanta does not carry it. I called a least a dozen pet stores and the only thing I found was crushed as fine as sugar. Not the right stuff.

I'll have to try a feed store when I go home to Weatherford and see if I can find a pound.

The extra shell from the 50# feed store bag can also be used on icy steps, walkways, and driveways in the winter. Adds some grit so you may get the extra traction you need to keep from falling on your butt.

Darin

Latest posts

Back