Owensorchids.com "borrowed without my permission" my crappy photo

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
So, I have a division of my Slc. Riffe 'Burlingame' that I'm looking to sell and wanted to know how much they're going for...

Here's my photo on my website http://www.elkgroveorchids.net/images/slcriffe.JPG

And here's the suspiciously "similar" photo on Owensorchids.com website..
http://www.owensorchids.com/Photo G...allery/pages/Slc. Riffe Burlingame AM-AOS.htm

So, it's a crappy photo and it still got "borrowed without my permission".

I've joked throughout the years that noone would ever take one of my photos. And they're a pretty big operation, aren't they???

I sent an e-mail asking for it to be removed asap since they didn't ask for permission or give me photo credit. We'll see...

Oooo...Not fair play - pretty sure you need some free plants from them...:wink:

You really should but your name and © on any picture you don't want someone to use on the internet. It may not stop them but they would have no excuse and you might hear about it sooner. Most picture pirates don't have the brains to know how to remove your name.

Candace, I remember someone lamenting on Orchid Source Forum a while back during one of these episides that nobody ever swiped their photos. Was that you?

You really should but your name and © on any picture you don't want someone to use on the internet. It may not stop them but they would have no excuse and you might hear about it sooner. Most picture pirates don't have the brains to know how to remove your name.

True, but I never thought anyone in their right minds would want to swipe any of my photos. Maybe they weren't wearing their glasses that day.

Candace, I remember someone lamenting on Orchid Source Forum a while back during one of these episides that nobody ever swiped their photos. Was that you?

T'was me. Now I shall lament no further.

Candace said:
True, but I never thought anyone in their right minds would want to swipe any of my photos. Maybe they weren't wearing their glasses that day.

Sorry, but there is nothing wrong with your picture. It is plenty good enough to steal. ;) Many people (not repeat offenders) believe unmarked pictures are OK to use if they are posted on the "free" internet.

I just found that not only do they have it set-up on as a photo in their slide show, that it's listed on their connoisseur page, too.

http://owensorchids.com/cattleya connoisseur.htm

They're asking $75 for a piece.
Sorry, but there is nothing wrong with your picture. It is plenty good enough to steal. Many people (not repeat offenders) believe unmarked pictures are OK to use if they are posted on the "free" internet.

If that's good enough to steal, maybe I shouldn't hang my head in shame when I post them on my site. :)

Candace said:
I just found that not only do they have it set-up on as a photo in their slide show, that it's listed on their connoisseur page, too.

http://owensorchids.com/cattleya connoisseur.htm

They're asking $75 for a piece.

If that's good enough to steal, maybe I shouldn't hang my head in shame when I post them on my site. :)

I think they owe you 75 bucks.

I actually bought my first paph from them.... Not all that nice of people when I was asking some questions.... I live relatively close to them and have never been a repeat customer.

That's lousy. :( so far, I haven't had that happen to me. I had one person ASK. And I said ok. I haven't seen them use it, but at least they did have the decency to ask. Even though in one way it's not a big deal, I would be upset if someone used one of my photos without at least asking first.

I think they owe you an apology at least. That photo is not their property.

Yes, it would have been nice to have been asked. I'm hoping they do as I request and remove it from their site. I'll give it a couple of business days..On the OSF a member did some research of some of the catt photos they have on their site(that aren't photos of inside the greenhouse) and at least 2 others are "borrowed" from other sites.

had one person ASK. And I said ok. I haven't seen them use it, but at least they did have the decency to ask. Even though in one way it's not a big deal, I would be upset if someone used one of my photos without at least asking first.

Me too. I had one person ask to use one on ebay to sell a plant and I said o.k. I don't know if they ever used it. I'm not into this to make money etc. I agree that really, just asking me would have been fine..

I dont like them one bit. They sell mediocre "ebay grade" plants at "connoisseur" prices, plus they are asses to boot.

Sometimes this happens when a well-meaning web designer goes on a search for photos and uses them without thinking. The business owner is responsible for proofing, but it can get past them. They are often very apologetic and will remove the pics upon request.

Mycorrhizae said:
Sometimes this happens when a well-meaning web designer goes on a search for photos and uses them without thinking. The business owner is responsible for proofing, but it can get past them. They are often very apologetic and will remove the pics upon request.

Sorry. No "well-meaning" web designer would use a photo from another site without permission. That is a violation of basic copyright. We are not talking about educational purposes here -- this is a site that uses another person's image without their permission, and for commercial gain. That is just plain wrong.

And it's not just my site that has been "borrowed" from. There are two other catt. photos on the same page from other sites. Of course they may have the original owners permission...but considering they didn't ask for mine, it does raise some red flags. I hate using harsh words like stealing and theft, as I'm hoping they'll be honorable and do what's right. In reality, it's not a huge deal, just irksome.

Latest posts

Back