Other Orchids? Yay or Nay....members please vote!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Should Slippertalk have an Off Topic Orchid Forum?

• Yes

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Welcome to our first forum decision making poll. This will be an ongoing effort to ensure that we are taking members ideas and opinions about the forum into consideration with regards to design and content of Slippertalk.

There has been some debate over whether or not to have this forum be solely slipper related or in addition, to include an "off topic" orchid area where members can post their other questions, comments, and photographs of non-slipper orchids.

Please vote for your preference. Majority rules. This vote will remain active for 7 days.

Thank you for your participation.

Last edited:

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I vote Yay.

I really don't think having a single 'Other Orchids' board is going to taint our 'purity' or whatever. While most of us grow primarily slippers, it's nice to have a place to discuss the others once in a while.

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
i kinda think that if there's not, then people who have a superkool plant will be tempted to (and then do...) post it elsewhere

L

lienluu

likespaphs said:
i kinda think that if there's not, then people who have a superkool plant will be tempted to (and then do...) post it elsewhere
I agree. I think almost everyone here, if not everyone, has at least one "other" orchid in their collection. It's just part of the hobby, you can't have just one slipper, but you also can't have just one orchid type!

L

lienluu

Heather said:
Yes you can! I'm proof!
You'd better not send me a miltonia now....
You had others!! And i bet you anything you will again!

L

lienluu

I see Miltonias in your near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PHRAG

We need a miltonia vendor in the marketplace forum. :)

I wish the person who voted no would post their reasoning in here. I would like to think that this is the type of board, and we are the type of people that would encourage people to have a difference of opinion and voice it without worry.

I really want to hear the "other" side of the debate.

P

PHRAG

Heather said:
Lol! It was me! I just got to NH though but I will explain my thoughts later...

You just don't want it because you are afraid someone is going to post their Miltonia photos. :)

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My thought was just that, as Eric M mentioned the other day, there are plenty of other places to go for other orchids. If we wanted to emphasize a slipper specific community, that would be one way to differentiate ourselves from others.

That said brian has a good point and I don't want people turning elsewhere necessarily.

Clearly, people seem to want to have this and I am not against it, just thought it was at first an interesting option to discuss. I am happy with any outcome.

B

bench72

I voted no as well...

I just don't want to see any more white phalaenopsis... ever!!!!

j/k!

actually, I find that being a member or lurker of other forums hasn't stoped me from visiting... my love for slippers means that I keep coming back to see what everyone else has flowering, or just learning more about how they have grown that plant, etc etc.

But the reason I put no is because I just can't keep up with 100 posts everyday....

course having said that the option is for me to not look at those posts... but who can turn away in the face of beauty???

bwester

Reaction score
I bet a certain person wouldnt mind a neo falcata section :poke:

K

Kev

I voted yes since I am one of those Monsters who doesn't grow slippers. :eek: :eek: (Hey, I'm just looking for a decent O place to hang out from time to time.)

Look at it this way: If you get lots and lots of non-slipper folk to join, you have more people to convert to the "One-True-Way". :evil:

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
bench72 said:
I voted no as well...
Darn it! I bet you all thought I was just trying to make trouble until that came out....;)

FWIW, I enjoy looking at other genera - it is one of the main reasons I enjoy my orchid societies (more on that later, I've got kovachii hyrbid pics for you...) I don't grow them, but I like to see them. And smell them - so let's work on a scratch and sniff modification for the forum if we decide to keep the "others" hehehe....

But Tim has a point - I cannot possibly try to keep up w/ the forum as it is, so just don't anyone expect me to try to post to every off-genera message! OG - new acronym! Learn it! ;)

*warning*
[rant]I'm not doing the "short-post-just-to-post" thing here. Please don't take offense if I don't respond - its not you, but with a busy forum it is difficult. There was a time when some of us had gotten it in our heads elsewhere that to keep people posting we had to post a reply to every message. People don't need to do that, IMO, there's no ego thing here, let's just be constructive, and if people feel strongly, post, but please don't feel the need to respond to every single photo. Certainly reply to all you want, but it got to a point where I was feeling guilty if I did not reply to everything....sometimes, I just don't have that much to say (go figure!) [/rant]

Kev also has a point. Enabling is where it's at! In fact - my mexipedium (which was robbed on the show table! Stingy judges!) today enabled me to a) turn about three people towards Marilyn LeDoux (now I really have a reason to email her - Glen Decker who was the speaker today is out of them so we referred everyone to her) and give out about a dozen business cards for the new forum. "If you really want mexipedium info...." :evil:

So that's verbose me....who's next?

~H (off to write a Mexipedium culture essay for next month...?)

Last edited:
B

bench72

umm... I just wanted to say that I want to change my vote... :confused:

see... first there was LI Jane's Miltonias and then.... Lien posted those awesome Laelia anceps pics (which are my favourite of the Laellinaes [Catts included]...

so, please don't hate me, but I'm switching sides... the dark side :noangel:

Latest posts