Organic Chemistry

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lienluu

I hate keto enol tautomerism and all things organic chemistry.... blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(midterm on thurs).

Class was ok, I just hated organic lab. Strange smells, things blowing up... At least in biochem lab we just had the strange smells. I doubt any of that has changed in the last 20 years...

kentuckiense said:
Quit yer complainin'. Orgo II is a lot easier than Orgo I.

That is encouraging. I took Organic 1 and would like to get back into 2 this coming quarter. Unfortunately i had to take several quarters off due to finances and life scheduling (full time job, kids, and college dont mix well). I got a B in Org 1 and was trying to convince myself id pull thru OK.

dave b said:
That is encouraging. I took Organic 1 and would like to get back into 2 this coming quarter. Unfortunately i had to take several quarters off due to finances and life scheduling (full time job, kids, and college dont mix well). I got a B in Org 1 and was trying to convince myself id pull thru OK.

Well, that was my opinion of it, anyway. I found the reactions to be a lot more intuitive and easy to remember. That could just be the way my university splits up the courses, though.

James said:
My organic midterm is wed

Good luck! Is it Orgo I or II? Mine is on aldehyde and ketone chemistry. boring :)

I like lab MUCH more than lecture. I haven't had an explosion since Chem I lab, but it was my fault, I put a huge chunk of sodium into water.

kentuckiense said:
Well, that was my opinion of it, anyway. I found the reactions to be a lot more intuitive and easy to remember. That could just be the way my university splits up the courses, though.

That can make a lot of difference. Our prof discussed the different methods Organic Chem can be taught, some ways are easier to some than others. he also made it clear that since none of us were actually Chem majors, he was not going to to "bust our balls" (his exact wording). Otherwise, he would have put us thru hell. Even so, half the class dropped, half that stayed struggled to pass.

To those who are taking organic chem, what is your major? Im Environmental Health Sciences.

This is part 2, my test is on aromatic reactions, ketones and aldehydes, carboxylic acids, thiols, epoxides and ethers!!!! Way too much for my brain to hold.

dave b said:
To those who are taking organic chem, what is your major? Im Environmental Health Sciences.

I'm doubling in Biology and Environmental Science. I want to take one more class and pick up a Biochemistry minor, but the school won't let me.

As for studying for organic chemistry, here's my key:

About 3-4 days before your test, take two sheets of solid white printer paper and condense all of your notes for that test onto those sheets of paper. Remove excessive examples, shorten things, whatever. Go around and draw big squares around reagents or catalysts that are common. Now you study from those instead of flipping through your notebook. After doing abysmally bad on my second test, I started doing this and immediately got almost perfect scores on the rest of my exams. It's all about that active studying. Write stuff down. Write it down again. It really works, I swear.

kentuckiense said:
Write stuff down. Write it down again. It really works, I swear.

This is how I memorize things. I re-copy my notes and by the second round I am writing them from memory.

I am studying easy stuff compared to you all. Does anyone want to know the path of blood through the kidney's arteries and veins? How about the equation for Carbonic Acid creation in the cerebro-spinal fluid?

PHRAG said:
Does anyone want to know the path of blood through the kidney's arteries and veins? How about the equation for Carbonic Acid creation in the cerebro-spinal fluid?
In through the Renal artery something something something out through the Renal vein.

H2O + CO2 -----> H2CO3

Renal artery
Interlobar ateries
Arcuate arteries
Interlobular arteries
Afferent arterioles
Glomerular capillaries
Efferent arterioles
Peritublular capilllaries
Interlobular veins
Arcuate veins
Interlobar veins
Renal vein

H2O + CO2 <=> H2CO3 <=> H+ + HCO3-

Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

vezzini.thumbnail.jpg

Latest posts

Back