Orchis and Ophrys 2013

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another two in flower,both

Orchis morio

Attachments

• orchis morio 18mar13.jpg
    orchis morio 18mar13.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 15
  • orchis morio white 18mar13.jpg
    orchis morio white 18mar13.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 15
The trouble is I do not believe there is any such thing as sicula.....

They are all just variations on lutea.

This is another aspect of things, so you can be right :wink: Same goes for me for O. fusca...!
Besides, plants do not have names... heehehe!:D

Some more in flower at the moment all from the Mediterranean except the last.

Aceras anthropophorum
Ophrys fusca
Ophrys lutea two forms
Orchis mascula
Ophrys speculum
Calypso bulbosa

Attachments

• aceras anthropophorum 19apr13.jpg
    aceras anthropophorum 19apr13.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ophrys fusca  8apr13.jpg
    ophrys fusca 8apr13.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 12
  • ophrys lutea 19apr13.jpg
    ophrys lutea 19apr13.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 11
  • ophrys lutea large flowers 19apr13.jpg
    ophrys lutea large flowers 19apr13.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 13
  • orchis mascula 8apr13.jpg
    orchis mascula 8apr13.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 13
  • ophrys speculum 19apr13.jpg
    ophrys speculum 19apr13.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 16
  • calypso bulbosa 22apr13.jpg
    calypso bulbosa 22apr13.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 20
final ophrys of the year

Ophrys fuciflora and a

Calanthe tricarinata with wasp having difficulty with the pollinia stuck to its head.

Attachments

• ophrys fuciflora 15may13.jpg
    ophrys fuciflora 15may13.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 10
  • calanthe tricarinata 15may13.jpg
    calanthe tricarinata 15may13.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 10
  • clanthe tricarinata with wasp.jpg
    clanthe tricarinata with wasp.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
Which variety is the Calypso? Obviously not americana but of the others I only know what var. occidentalis looks like.

Congrats on your beautys, would be interested too how you grow your calypso and in which tmeps and sunlight conditions

The calypso is var occidentalis. I grow them in rotted pine needles from a Pinus nigra growing in a friends garden and add extra drainage in the form of sand. They are in clay pots plunged in sand under the bench in a cold greenhouse and kept damp all year round but extra water in the growing season. They never get direct sunlight. We have a very temperate climate with most years a minimum of -5c in winter and a high on an odd day of +25c in summer. It is mainly dull and for the past two years has not rained on only 30 days in the year.
Clearly my conditions suit them and most years they divide and produce two new bulbs so I am building up a nice colony.

having read the pages on that forum relating to the serapis orchis and ophrys I found it difficult to get any clear details of what conditions it was suggesting they grew in. These are mainly Mediterranean plants which require a warm damp winter when they are growing and a dry summer when they are dormant. They never want it wet and overhead watering in cold conditions quickly results in rotting of the rosette. The vendors site does though give excellent cultural advice although I would disagree on the hardiness comments.

First of my dactylorhiza,a common high meadow plant in the mountains of Europe

Dactylorhiza sambucina yellow form. It also comes in red.

Attachments

• dactylorhiza sambucina yellow form 18may13.jpg
    dactylorhiza sambucina yellow form 18may13.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 11
Clearly my conditions suit them and most years they divide and produce two new bulbs so I am building up a nice colony.

Thanks for the information Tony. A colony of C. bulbosa sounds very nice indeed. Tough plant for many folks to grow, even v. occidentalis. I've got a friend on Vancouver Island that grows a bunch, but they are natives there.

You grow you terrestrials in an alpine house, or in the open?

All the orchis ophrys and calanthes frost free in the alpine house,the rest in a coldframe apart from dactylorhiza which are in the garden and self seed.

Latest posts

Back