Orchis and Ophrys 2013

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyw

Reaction score
First three of the year flowering

Ophrys lutea
Orchis anatolica
Orchis morio

Attachments

• ophrys lutea 11feb13.jpg
    ophrys lutea 11feb13.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 73
  • orchis anatolica 11feb13.jpg
    orchis anatolica 11feb13.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 87
  • orchis morio 11feb13.jpg
    orchis morio 11feb13.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 64
A couple more in flower

Ophrys fusca

Orchis papilionacae

Attachments

• ophrys fusca 13mar13.jpg
    ophrys fusca 13mar13.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 19
  • orchis papilionacae 13mar13.jpg
    orchis papilionacae 13mar13.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 16
I grow most of them in 3 inch clay pots in a compost of 50% John Innnes which is a loam based one and 50% grit. The pots are topped with a layer of grit which keeps the rosettes of the compost and so dry. The pots are plunged on a sand bench with a soil warming cable set at 5c. Over the top I have a box with an opening lid made of wood and bubble wrap which I keep open unless a frost is threatened. When closed it keeps the air temperature at about 2c.

These mostly all form small tubers about the size of a thumbnail and I repot them in September and give them a first watering. The rosette forms in the autumn and the pots are kept moist during winter but it is essential that water does not get into the rosette. In late winter early spring they start to produce the flower shoots.At this time the new tuber is already formed. Soon after the leaves yellow and at this stage I stop watering and put the pots dry in the garage for the summer. I do not bake them. Division is not an option and apart from Ophrys insectifera they never produce an additional tuber.

No additional feeding but I keep careful watch for aphids which can be a problem with them being frost free.

Attachments

• orchis and ophrys.jpg
    orchis and ophrys.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 15
Back