Orchilla 'Chilton' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby5757

lightly hirsute
Reaction score
Had to check, but this was awarded an AM in November of 1971 and them upgraded to an FCC in January of 1973. Still is a good flower, hopefully will lose the color break next time around. Came from Ross as well.

IMG_0643.jpg

Last edited:
A classic flower but there is no way that it was awarded an AM in 1971 and upgraded in 1931 unless time travel was involved....

In the AOS it was awarded an AM (86 points) in November 1971 and upgraded to an FCC(92 points) in January 1973.It also has multiple awards in Europe including the RHS, DOG, and in Australia (AOC). I'm sure it is one of the highest awarded paphs from multiple organizations existent.

Not only is Orchilla a poor parent, producing very little, the few offspring it does produce tend to have lots of imperfections, if not outright deformity.

Interestingly, Paph Orchilla has not produced many outstanding progeny, yet. One of its parents, Paph Paeony, however, is considered an excellent parent.

Not only is Orchilla a poor parent, producing very little, the few offspring it does produce tend to have lots of imperfections, if not outright deformity.

Thanks! I had a Orchilla 'Chilton' x delenatii, but I killed it before it bloomed. So now I don't feel quite as bad.

While not a prolific parent, there have been some success using Orchilla. According to OrchidWiz, 13 out of 65 (20%) of F1 offspring have received flower quality awards, but usually only one or two. While not terrible, this track record is certainly less than what one would expect from such a beautiful flower. It is still being used by serious breeders and may eventually prove itself.

i think there's a few issues at work here: 1. alot of crosses were lost in ratcliffe's various moves; 2. alot of crosses were weird and speculative x maudiae types for dark color - some of these, Flashdance and Ebony King are great, and Flashdance went on to make some wonderful progency; 3. alot of crosses were not done in the states so we haven't seen too many of them - I would love to see Highland Fox (x Paeony) and Richesse (X Hellas), two crosses where the color of Orchilla should be maintained while augmenting the form.

Latest posts

Back