Orchids sneaking into a bonsai show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
The Milwaukee Bonsai Society had a show Sept 17 & 18, 2016, and I was able to sneak an orchid or two into the show. Easiest to post at the moment is a short video of a kusamono display. Kusamono is a general term for any plant that is grown for appreciation that is not a tree, originally the term was meant for a mixed planting of grasses and wildflowers. When used in a display with a tree they are called shitakusa, when used as the focal point of a display they are call sanyasou, there are other sub-categories, but at least in the USA the term kusamono is used as the more generic term for any plant that is not a bonsai tree that is grown for appreciation.

The display is a group display by the Arbor Arts Collective, two of the group designed and set up the display, I merely stood by and watched. I brought several candidates, and my Habenaria and a Euphorbia franciosii are the only two that made the cut. So I only contributed greenery, the artistic taste belongs to Steve & Brian. But it was a fun group effort. Ended up selling the Habenaria to a friend at the end of the show. But they didn't want the pot, so I can re-use that another year.

So in the minute long video, Habenaria rhodocheila makes an appearance. I planted it in a Chingwen Chen pot, a current day potter living in California, who makes very nice free form pottery of good quality. (pot was 5 time more expensive than the Habenaria) :rollhappy:

It was fun to sneak an orchid into the mix. Video at the youtube link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc54pbAJfNs

Yep, I'm alive, just been very busy. Will try to be around more this winter.

Orchids are better than banzais anyway lol.. j.k. bonsais are cool!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back