Orchids of the Cranberry Wilderness and the Cranberry Glades Botanical Area

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
A few weeks ago we spent a rainy weekend in one of the botanical treasures of Eastern North America: Pocahontas County, WV.

While driving 45 mph I spotted this lovely Platanthera grandiflora f. albiflora:
Platgrandalb2011-1.jpg

Platgrandalb2011-2.jpg

Platgrand2011-3.jpg

There were also hundreds of the typical color form:
Platgrand2011-4.jpg

platgrand2011-5.jpg

The first thing I saw at Cranberry Glades Botanical Area was this fruiting stem of Corallorhiza trifida (some say var. verna):
Coraltrif2011.jpg

Out in the sphagnum there were thousands of Calopogon tuberosus and Pogonia ophioglossoides:
Caltub2011-2.jpg

Caltub2011-1.jpg

Pogoph2011-1.jpg

Finally, at a trailhead I stumbled across a single Spiranthes lucida, a rarity of the southern Appalachians:
Spirluc2011-1.jpg

Spirluc2011-2.jpg

Last edited:
You saw that driving at 45 miles an hour! Good eyesight you have. Myself, I would have missed three mooses jumping over each other. :)

Very nice pics and beautiful flowers. Great posting and I wish I could see as well as you. :rolleyes:

nice white purple fringed! (and others) i've never seen one of them, and the standard ones aren't as populous around here as down south it seems. psycodes are more common....

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing.

I am seeking seed of Platanthera grandiflora and psychodes. If anyone has some, please PM me.

Brett

:drool::drool: I think I need a couple of those for my bog garden!
You saw that driving at 45 miles an hour! Good eyesight you have. Myself, I would have missed three mooses jumping over each other. :)
Very nice pics and beautiful flowers. Great posting and I wish I could see as well as you. :rolleyes:
:rollhappy::rollhappy: I may be just a little better - I think I'd see 2 moose jumping over each other! :p

Latest posts

Back