• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Orchids in San Diego?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
Are there any cool orchid tourism spots in San Diego? I am talking about commercial greenhouses, private greenhouses (by appointment) or parks?

I think there is a market where peoples buy & sell orchids, even rare ones.
I try to remember where I read this now!

like, umm, Andys?

Ki, I had no idea how close Andy's is to San Diego. I thought all the internet vendors lived in Internetville. I just fired off an email. I probably should have sent it to Harry, since I talk to him more than Andy.

I can't go shopping for more succulents. There is a huge show and sale here this weekend and I am already reaching maximum overload on succulents. It's those damn clear windows, they are like crack.

Hien, that marketplace sounds kind of cool. Let me know if you remember anything about it.

t's those damn clear windows, they are like crack.
:rollhappy:

My husband had a conference in San Diego last summer and I tagged along to keep him company and take in some inspiration since everything was covered except for my airfare. I was SO bummed we couldn't make it to Andy's! We didn't rent a car, so La Jolla is as far as I got by trolley and bus.

If you have time and like sharks and other fish, you must go here: http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/ The view over La Jolla from the top of that hill is something I'll never forget. Of course there's Sea World too, but I was more interested in making it to the former and the zoo.

I'm hatin just a bit right now, but mostly I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

Sunset Valley Orchids is not far. He has a "real" job so should call first.

Ki, I had no idea how close Andy's is to San Diego. I thought all the internet vendors lived in Internetville. I just fired off an email. I probably should have sent it to Harry, since I talk to him more than Andy.

I can't go shopping for more succulents. There is a huge show and sale here this weekend and I am already reaching maximum overload on succulents. It's those damn clear windows, they are like crack.

Speaking of internetville, I've never really "talked" to anyone at Andys - I usually email them when I get the plants so I don't get that phone call many people talk about. I just order through the website or pick things up at their mobbed booth at shows..... I did just send them an email asking about a masdie I love and just killed off..... :mad: It survived and grew through drought, and it's water that killed it.

As for the succulent addiction, if you feel a need to go to the sale and buy stuff, always feel free to pick up small unusual stapeliads (huernia, orbea, caralluma, etc). That's the addiction I'm trying to avoid/kick. :p We have no good local sources so it's all online/proxy shopping for me.

No room for succulents? Solana Succulents is in the vicinity and they've got some great stuff! I spent an enjoyable day at the Quail Botanical Gardens out there last year -- no orchids, but lots and lots of other interesting stuff! One of the best things I've ever done was take the "Adventure Caravan Deluxe" at the Wild Animal Park -- pricey at $150 but well worth it. Southern California is a wonderful, beautiful place.

...Dang, maybe I shouldn't have broken up with the San Diego girlfriend...

Thanks for the aquarium tip Robin. We are planning on visiting the zoo, and we have some hot tips on restaurants.

Ki, I am sending you a pm.

Hien, that marketplace sounds kind of cool. Let me know if you remember anything about it.
I still try to search for that information. I should have recorded it down when I saw it. The place is under some kind of freeway , and peoples grow & sell orchids right there.

Thanks for the aquarium tip Robin. We are planning on visiting the zoo, and we have some hot tips on restaurants.

You’re welcome, John. Here’s a restaurant tip you might not have heard—Rama is the location we went to:
http://www.celadonrestaurant.com/

The zoo is wonderful of course, but all of Balboa Park looked great—there’s even an outdoor cacti garden (go figure)! The botanical building was closed by the time we’d made our way through the zoo though. Hopefully there will be other times. I appreciate seasons, but I’d probably move to the city in question in a heart beat.

Here’s a link to the Balboa Park page: http://www.balboapark.org/

Phrag,

Sunset Valley Orchids, Fred Clarke, is just to the north of San Diego...20-25 minute drive. Fred has about 10,000 sq ft or more of greenhouses, specializing in catts, paphs, and phrags. He also works at the Flower Fields and they've got a lot of acres in bloom right now for tourism and he says it's definitely worth the visit.

He's also speaking in May at the Tucson orchid society and one of the Phoenix societies.

Thanks for the heads-up David. I will try to call him and arrange a visit closer to the trip.

Latest posts

Back