Orchids in Costa Rica

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vert nice photos! That also brings back memories for me, I was there about 10 years ago and I did see quite a few orchids including a phragmipedium and a telipogon (I think?). Perhaps someone can help out with some ids :)

another terrestrial.jpeg
telipogon2.jpeg
quetzal.jpeg
bluejeans frog.jpeg
terrestrial.jpeg
masdevallia_close.jpeg
maxillaria.jpeg
phrag_closeup.jpeg
brassia.jpeg

Attachments

• butterfly.jpeg
    butterfly.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 6
My next destination was the small town 'La Fortuna' situated at the west base of the volcano 'Arenal' 250 m a.s.l.
First day I walked about 6km to the waterfall 'Caterata La Fortuna' which is situated at about 540 m a.s.l.. Aside the road I saw some orchids in the gardens and few in situ.
Catasetum spec. on a tree trunk
05362_19.11.17_La_Fotuna_Catasetum_spec..jpg

Dimerandra emarginata
05367_19.11.17_La_Fotuna_dimerandra_emarginata.jpg

05369_19.11.17_La_Fotuna_dimerandra_emarginata.jpg

Spathoglottis plicata at the side of the road
05354_19.11.17_La_Fotuna_spathoglottis_plicata.jpg
Could what you are labeling Catasetum be Peristeria?

.....Those Sobralias are outstanding. .....
Indeed, and if you are able to see them growing flowering in situ, in this lava field......you stand there with awe.

....In Quepos and Manuel Antonio I saw Aspasia principissa and several colonies of Brassavola nodosa growing as lythophite straight on the beach.
Very interesting, Lorenzo. To be honest I didn't really watch out for orchids in the 'Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio' nearby Quepos because this National Park is situatetd more or less at sea level and I didn't expect growing orchids there. I was more focussed at other plants, the partly picturesque scenery and animals. I saw a sloth, iguanas and capuchin monkees.

Last edited:
Could what you are labeling Catasetum be Peristeria?
Brucher, it's always difficult to dertermine orchids without a flower. But I grow two Catasetums and by the shape of the bulbs and the arrangement of the leaves the two plants in my photos look more like Catasetum and not like Peristeria. So I think Catasetum spec. should be right.

Last edited:
Vert nice photos! That also brings back memories for me, I was there about 10 years ago and I did see quite a few orchids including a phragmipedium and a telipogon (I think?). Perhaps someone can help out with some ids :)
Nice memories, Justin

View attachment 34028 At any rate Telipogon maybe Telipogon ampliflorus which is native to Costa Rica
View attachment 34029 Nice Quetzal
View attachment 34033 Spathoglottis plicata
View attachment 34034 could be Masdevallia chontalensis which is native to Costa Rica
View attachment 34036 Phragmipedium longifolium
View attachment 34037 Brassia maybe Brassia verrucosa which is native in Central America

Last edited:
Indeed, and if you are able to see them growing flowering in situ, in this lava field......you stand there with awe.

Very interesting, Lorenzo. To be honest I didn't really watch out for orchids in the 'Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio' nearby Quepos because this National Park is situatetd more or less at sea leven and I didn't expect growing orchids there. I was more focussed at other plants, the partly picturesque scenery and animals. I saw a sloth, iguanas and capuchin monkees.
There is trail at the end of the beach that makes a loop around the hill overlooking the ocean. I saw a very large clump of what I thought was trichocentrum cebolleta. It was 5-6 m above the ground and more than 1 m in diameter. Hard to make a positive ID at that distance and it wasn't in bloom. It could have been nodosa, or something similar. Mike

If you had gone a couple weeks later you would have got to see some of their national flower C.skinerii . fantastic photos from everyone !!! Makes me appreciate my radicans 😁
Patrick

Back