Orchids 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's...rather a while lol.

Uh yeah. Charles E. has a reputation for being a reluctant bloomer and one reason why a lot of the old CE x Borneo plants could take forever to flower.

Borneo, in contrast, is a fast grower & seems to flower for me every 2 years (and likely to be every year as my division picks up steam).

Here is roths 'Charles E' FCC/AOS.

A very nice blooming this year. It has been a long wait since it last flowered in 2012.

Charles E 2023 - Copy.jpg

There are also 2 more CE divisions in bud (plants in back), The other plants here are all pieces of 'Alford' AM/AOS, which has never bloomed for me once. Maybe this year lol.

Charles E bud - Copy.jpg

Well the CE is wonderful. WOW, 11 years to reflower. That is patience. Was it really slow growing or just shy to flower,?

CE has a reputation for being a slow grower/bloomer (vs. 'Borneo' which blooms regularly). However in this case, the original clump self-divided into 3 plants, and it took a while for them all to re-establish.

I am really happy with the flowers, it is a very nice roth.

wow~ 11 years to rebloom! but they are pretty flowers indeed.
When was this awarded FCC and what's the dorsal width and natural spread of the current flowers?

Beautiful purpuratas! I love them. My purpurata var. sanguinea just opened today!

wow~ 11 years to rebloom! but they are pretty flowers indeed.
When was this awarded FCC and what's the dorsal width and natural spread of the current flowers?

Beautiful purpuratas! I love them. My purpurata var. sanguinea just opened today!

It was one of the first roth FCCs, in 1970. The NS for me is about 20cm and DW is a little over 4cm. But still a very excellent roth.

Wonderful roth Justin, congrats! The long wait is over. 🤗
I had a Laelia purpurata as long time a grew my orchids in the GH. Kept it outside during summers. It grew fantasticly, had to divide it a few times. Biggest purpurata I've ever seen and I mean the bulb + leave, hight and widht. Beautiful flowers too.
Yours is beautiful also. 😁

Latest posts

Back