Orchids 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few updates--a lot more roths to come!

Paph. gratrixianum. Plant originally from Tenman, in a couple pots.
Gratrix 2023 - Copy.jpg
gratrix plants 2023 - Copy.jpg

A few nice little seedlings from a flask of lowii 'New Horizon' x 'Grand Masterpiece'

low 1 - Copy.jpg
low 2 - Copy.jpg
low 3 - Copy.jpg

Here's a preview of a nice roth. Sam's Choice x MM Best. This grex produces very dark flowers, but they tend to be small with not great form. A couple I have bloomed are peloric or worse. But this one, while small, actually has pretty nice form!
roth scxmb 2023 opening - Copy.jpg

Justin, your first lowii has quite dark dorsal.
That roth is very colorful, a real beauty!

What does that LS mean?

Then a question to Guru, if I may? Are you going to go to the Dresden Orchid Show next week. It's from Thu to Sun.?

Nice Roth. indeed! What is the LS of the lovely lowii?

Here is a view of the lowii plants from a month ago (@annica.jarvela LS refers to leaf size). They are in a 12" x 24" tray for reference.

These seedlings are 9 years out of flask. The first one bloomed last year. I have found that lowii is a little slow to mature (takes about twice as long as haynaldianum to mature). Although they can bloom on small plants, once they bloom a couple times this species can go on to stay relatively compact or get VERY large). So I am going to have to pick a few keepers because I won't have room for all of them when they get big.
lowii teens - Copy.jpg

Justin, from the beginning with P. gratrixianum until the end P. rothschildianum...you show really stunning flowers in your post #182. šŸ‘Œ
Nice to see by your P. lowii seedling how siblings of the same cross vary in shape and colouration. That's very impressive.

......Then a question to Guru, if I may? Are you going to go to the Dresden Orchid Show next week. It's from Thu to Sun.?
Annica, Dresden is a 'must go' for me and a friend and we've been there regularly from the beginnings many years ago. We plan to go there on Thursday.

...What does that LS mean?....
LS means leafspan.

Hi Justin, your lowii plants look great. So, four of them have flowered, or three are blooming now. The highest/longest spike looks very dark, It`s exciting! Yes, that is a pity that they can get so big. They take up a lot of room, you keep the best ones! They have a nice variation of their flowers.
Thank you again for explaining the leaf span. šŸ¤—

GuRu, Danke schƶn for explaining that LS for me. šŸ¤—
Bitte schƶn. I have friends in various places in Germany. One lives in Heuchelheim. Most of them were working on my parent's farm as apprentices a long time ago. We stay connected. 260km is not bad. Ca 3 hour's trip.
BTW, darf ich fragen, heisst du Gunter?

Lovely, just lovely, Justin!

(And, maybe, just a tad beckoning to the Green-eyed Monster! šŸ˜‰)

I came to your thread with a slight delay, so otherwise just a few belated remarks:

I love your clone of Roth 'Borneo' - a wonderful, classic reminder of the natural beauty of Roths, before linebreeding took off infinetesimal!

That said, your 'Canadian Club' ain't too bad, either! (Rex in its background? - bicoloured pouch)

And, lastly, had you been on this side of the pond, I would have pestered you incessantly for a division of your Sam's Choice x MM Best!
The flowers of this cross may not be as large as others (at least at this stage), but they are in my book some of the overall most harmonious of Roth-flowers.
My own clone of this cross - as so many other of my plants, alas, sadly went to orchid heaven after six weeks of neglect during my first round of Covid šŸ˜­

Maybe, you would allow for just one more airing of pleasures long last lost:
20210508_142930.jpg20210508_143151.jpg

Most kind regards,
Jens

As Guldal said, I might be pestering you too Justin. šŸ¤­

I came to your thread with a slight delay, so otherwise just a few belated remarks:

I love your clone of Roth 'Borneo' - a wonderful, classic reminder of the natural beauty of Roths, before linebreeding took off infinetesimal!

That said, your 'Canadian Club' ain't too bad, either! (Rex in its background? - bicoloured pouch)

And, lastly, had you been on this side of the pond, I would have pestered you incessantly for a division of your Sam's Choice x MM Best!
The flowers of this cross may not be as large as others (at least at this stage), but they are in my book some of the overall most harmonious of Roth-flowers.
My own clone of this cross - as so many other of my plants, alas, sadly went to orchid heaven after six weeks of neglect during my first round of Covid šŸ˜­

View attachment 39194View attachment 39195

Most kind regards,
Jens
As Guldal said, I might me pestering you too, Justin. šŸ¤­

View attachment 39194View attachment 39195

Most kind regards,
Jens

What a fantastic roth! One of the very best I have seen from this cross indeed. I am sorry to hear you lost it, but at least hopefully your health has recovered.

Canadian Club from the Tokyo Orchid Nursery cross of 'Val' x 'Mont Millais'. Val is from Charles E. x Borneo.

And I agree with you about roth 'Borneo'. Even today it is a remarkable and beautiful roth. I love the rich color and majestic presentation on the spike.

borneo flower - Copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back