Orchids 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the Via Ojai and the 2 roths! Jealous of your Victoria-Regina, I cannot get mine to bloom! Looks like you’re having a great bloom season, please keep the photos coming!

Hi Justin, your roth Canadian Club looks alike CHxRB. Both are beautiful! Silvia is also nice, and your victoria-regina is colorful and beautiful. Do you remember how long time it's usually flowering, and/or how many flowers it has bloomed? Nice, that there is three flowers open at once. 👍👍

Thanks. This is the first time I am flowering this victoria reginae plant. It was a division I acquired about 10 years ago, and it grew very slowly over the years. I imagine it will stay in bloom for several months if not longer!

WOW, can't say what I should praise more .... the beautiful flowers of both of the P. rothschildianum and the lovely P. victoria-reginae ... or the excellent photos. 👌

Justin, when you posted some measurements of your roths, there was the width of the petals. I would be more interested of the petal lenght. And, what the heck means shortning NS?? Please, tell me Justin. 👂😊

Justin, when you posted some measurements of your roths, there was the width of the petals. I would be more interested of the petal lenght. And, what the heck means shortning NS?? Please, tell me Justin. 👂😊

Hi the first roth's measuremente are

NS (natural spread, horizontally tip to tip) 27 cm
DW (dorsal width) 6
PW (petal width) 1.9

I run into size limits with posting into the forum. I use my Android phone to take photos. Is there a setting that keeps file size small enough to post here?
Justin I also use my phone for pictures and upload directly to my post. Then I'm given the choice of thumbnail or full image. I never need or use an outside image app anymore. Is there a reason to use Postimage?

Justin I also use my phone for pictures and upload directly to my post. Then I'm given the choice of thumbnail or full image. I never need or use an outside image app anymore. Is there a reason to use Postimage?

I think I figured it out, thanks Rick!

Hi Justin, so NS is natural spread. Why didn't I figure it out? Goodness me! Well, I'm learning more english all the time.
NS 27cm, that's really good 👏
Thank you Justin, you are so sweet 😘

Then what SlipperKing said, I also take most of my pictures with my phone. The pics go straight to app called pictures or to gallery. They stay there as long you want or you can send them where or who you want thrue e-mail, WhatsApp, or what ever. Also, with Link to Windows, if you have that on, there will be transferred automaticly to your PC, when you have that open. But I'm sure you know all this.

The contrast on the petals looks fantastic! This cross shows a lot of awesome progeny in my opinion.

Thanks!
I grow them under LEDs on a 12-hour cycle. Big plants are under HLG-60 LEDs. Seedlings are under 30-40 watt 4' LEDs. some from Lowes, some from The Orchid Hobbyist on facebook.

Most plants are in slotted trays nested in closed-bottom trays. It is easy to pop out the slotted tray and water through. I water in the kitchen or on the porch. I use tapwater, and Miracle Gro orchid food 30-10-10, 1/4 tsp/gallon every few waterings.

Growing indoors is fun, but it is a lot of work, and with the sub-optimal humidity and temperature it takes much longer to grow plants and bloom them to their potential vs. a greenhouse. It takes a minimum of 10 years for me to bloom a roth from flask. Greenhouse growers with their conditions dialed in can do it in a few years and get much bigger flowers.

I'll post some whole-room pics at some point once things start blooming.

Amazing plants. An inspiration for us indoor / windowsill growers!

Latest posts

Back