Orchids 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really like that Chester Hills cross. just wish the flowers were a little more spaced out. Have you found flower spacing to be variable, or is that pretty consistent?

Yes they are quite bunched this year, which also impacted the shape of some of the dorsals. It is definitely variable and dependent on conditions.

It does grow on the lower shelf where it is probably mid 60s in winter. I grow it in orchiata, and try to keep it pretty moist at all times.
What about in the summer? I tried several times and never had luck with this species. Even with the cooler costal weather I used to have i must have been doing something wrong.

What about in the summer? I tried several times and never had luck with this species. Even with the cooler costal weather I used to have i must have been doing something wrong.

My conditions are intermediate year-round. We have the AC on in the summer, so temps usually in the mid 70s.

Extra calcium? Need enough light to turn the leaves from dark green to what kinda seems an “unhealthy” chartreuse green situation.

It happens this time every year. Nothing serious. Some leaf tips brown and die back. Probably nutritional issue or just from lack of humidity.

To the leave tips turning brown, it`s probably a nutritional thing or not enough water. I like both of your Roths very much, but the Chester Hill x Red Baron is absolutely beautiful because it has a red colour on the pouch. Could you send one to me🤔 ;)

I must apologize to Tony and Justin and others who have participated in the conversation about nutrition and fertilizing. I thought every day that I would thank you all, especially Tony and Justin. I`ve been too busy to do that and it has bothered me. Enormous thanks to Tony who showed us/me that old thread, where Ray wrote a lot of his studies and knowledge. And for Tony and others for sharing their fertilizing elements. Thanks to Ray also of course for sharing, there has been a lot of interesting reading. Some of the trace elements that are needed only in tiny amounts are important e.g., for alpines, like iron and others. I bought from one place those trace elements with the alpines and have been thinking of adding those to orchids too. But just very carefully. If your and my orchids grow well even with less precision, Then that`s ok.
Thank you all anyway, it's good to learn new things and plan if one could do something different and perhaps better.

Here are some other Paphs that are starting to bloom, besides the rung. The first two look alike but are different plants. The first one is godefroyae (black x black), and the second is another one of my ST. Gratrix and the third is a big flowered or round flowered hybrid called Ansun. That godefroyae does not look like it`s going to be a very dark flower, but every flower looks different, and I would be too lucky to get one looking like the darkest flower in the pictures.

Attachments

• 20230306_180056.jpg
    20230306_180056.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230306_180104.jpg
    20230306_180104.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230306_180128.jpg
    20230306_180128.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 0
WOW Justin, tons of great flowers in your thread most of them a real feast for the eyes. 👌
What I'm wondering the floor of your growing room is wooden parquet. Don't you have any problems with the moisture and water drops ?

Here are some other Paphs that are starting to bloom, besides the rung. The first two look alike but are different plants. The first one is godefroyae (black x black), and the second is another one of my ST. Gratrix and the third is a big flowered or round flowered hybrid called Ansun. That godefroyae does not look like it`s going to be a very dark flower, but every flower looks different, and I would be too lucky to get one looking like the darkest flower in the pictures.

I can't wait to see the godefroyae!

WOW Justin, tons of great flowers in your thread most of them a real feast for the eyes. 👌
What I'm wondering the floor of your growing room is wooden parquet. Don't you have any problems with the moisture and water drops ?

It's a hardwood floor (oak), double-sealed with polyurethane. A few drops of water are no problem.

Paph. Via Ojai 'Sylvia' HCC/AOS. Division from Hadley Cash.

Paph Via Ojai 'Sylvia' HCC - Copy.jpg

Paph. victoria regina is doing great...
victoria reginae 3 flowers - Copy.jpg

Final photo of CHxRB. I have a couple more from this cross on the way, including a couple first bloom from the smaller plants.

CH x RB 2023 full bloom - Copy.jpg

roth 'Canadian Club' just opening...

CC opening2 - Copy.jpg

Hi Justin, your roth Canadian Club looks alike CHxRB. Both are beautiful! Silvia is also nice, and your victoria-regina is colorful and beautiful. Do you remember how long time it's usually flowering, and/or how many flowers it has bloomed? Nice, that there is three flowers open at once. 👍👍

Back