• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Orchid Zone sokd again!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one welcome John or whomever bought the Orchid Zone. I hope and wish that they become a contributor to our lovely site. Who knows after they get settled they may teach us a few new things and possible sell us a few wonderful plants. We just need to give them time to settle in and get comfortable.

Heat packs are a mixed blessing....I have gotten plants that were severely burnt from their proximity to the heatpack. In my entire ordering history over the past few decades, I have only once gotten plants that were killed by freezing, regardless of heatpacks.

I shouldn't have judged so quickly and I regret it. The new OZ owner/s
are certainly welcome here...if they have the time to spare. I suspect
business concerns will keep everyone busy for a bit.

I'm having difficulty understanding the negative comments in some of these posts...? glad i'm not a new vendor here. sheesh.

Some comments have been critical...they have not been merely negative. OZ is having a new beginning, and our comments are providing critical feedback for them. If you read everything carefully, you will see that even behind what appears to be "negative" comments is some real enthusiasm over a new approach, and new access to, one of the most productive and highly regarded slipper oriented orchid businesses in the world. No one is bashing them, and everyone wants them to succeed, as that will benefit all of us, both the business and its patrons. Our comments have already had a positive effect. Compare the ebay offerings as they have progressed from the beginning. The first round started high, with minimal info...not even the plants name...just a tag photo. Next round, more info...and a low start. The same plants pretty much, along with some others...low start, lots of bidding, and most sold, I think for higher than they were offered the first time. Our "negative" comments had a very positive effect for the company. Their new listings have all the info we want. Name, shipping info about timing and heat packs, just what we want. These offers are divisions, which will always be high priced. Yes, there are divisions of all these plants available from other sources at lower prices. But also at higher prices. We'll see what happens. Haven't checked ebay yet, but if the plants get sold they were right and we were wrong. Why not sell at a higher price, if they can get it? If they don't sell, then we were right, and their pricing was the wrong approach. This is not negative! It's informative! My bet is that the current BIN plants will not sell...and will reappear as an auction, probably with a relatively low starting bid. I guarantee that those plants will then really sell...and most likely for a price higher than asked for now, as people sometimes get really anal about "winning", no matter what the cost. Who will benefit from all this negativity? The OZ, and big time.

Orchidzone lists again! http://www.ebay.com/usr/theorchidzone
Best dig deep into your pockets. These are about 5-10x too pricey for my pocket but I'm sure several people here will soon launch a bidding war for the items.
:confused: What would you expect to pay for a in bloom plant of this quality?
If OZ feels this is the minimum worth they only need one bid & they get what they wanted. If the starting bid is too high, zero bids, oh well live & learn or are they willing to lower it?
For me most would be out of my price range, if I was a serious breeder, then I don't think they are out of line, compare to Paphs of Distinction.

For me most would be out of my price range, if I was a serious breeder, then I don't think they are out of line, compare to Paphs of Distinction.

If I had the cash that WC would be on its way to me right now.

They obviously know they have sought after high quality plants. My correspondence with them suggests to me that they are under the impression that they are doing us a favor by making their plants available to us. One of the crosses they listed previously was a selected plant of the "hundreds" that they had available. I think they are justified in asking what they are asking, and in some cases, are probably being generous with the starting bids.

Well, if John Chant is the owner, he is already on the forum. John- if you are reading this...please post the cross names with your ebay listings. A photographed tag doesn't cut it, especially if some of the words are obscured.

OZ owner

John Chant is the owner and he is putting some of their OZ plants on ebay. I got to meet John at the annual paph guild meeting this year, a very likeable orchid lover who had the opportunity to buy a very well established business. He says he plans to expand the retail part of OZ to reach a broader market. Yes some prices are higher but in most cases you get what you pay for. Believe me I was loking hard to see why a red fairrieanum would cost $200-400. Not for me, but then there are other plants which were more spectacular at a much lower price. I have gotten several plants from them on ebay and found the price and quality to be as good as or superior to other commercial growers. With the internet, prices can be checked and plants purchased without leaving the house. So pricing will become a factor in the success of any operation. I was G.M. at Gubler's for years and we had it calculated down to the sq ft of growing area, what the minimum price had to be to make a profit. Ifyou got an award quality plant, that was a bonus!! So, thanks John for opening the doors of OZ to the hobbiest who are the ones and twos of the market. We may not be big buyers, but together we are quantity buyers!!

I agree, having more access to OZ plants is a great thing. I have seen 2 that I should have bid on but missed the windows. If the plants I always have asked about come up for bid I will certainly make a try for them!!

OZ owner

On the frank smiths which I bought, I have already used them in my hybridizing program. It is a way to get a quality plant at a fair price and not have to put in the time to grow it. That is what some bidders are missing, they are not buying a plant- they are buying time and selection, try to put a price on that. It is a inverse world, the older you are the more the plants cost because the less time you have to get them bloomed.

Latest posts

Back