• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Orchid Zone sokd again!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent Sam an email...I'll let everyone know when I hear back from her.

The stated reason that the old OZ never sold retail is that Terry Root had agreements with his wholesale customers, to not compete with them. When I buy wholesale, I will not buy from the guy likely to show at the same show I am at, and under cut me on price. So OZ only selling wholesale eliminates this problem. Their strategy made sense. Once they start retailing they may loose wholesale customers that are geographically close to them. California has a lot of retail orchid outlets.

Time wise it takes almost the same amount of time to handle a the sale of a single plant to a hobby grower who has a lot of questions as it does to sell 100 plants to a wholesaler who knows what they are looking at. Both will have a few questions. Who would you put time into if you only had time for one?

I didn't ask for first or last name, but I assume part of the new ownership. He or she told me they will be selling at the Santa Barbara show. It looks like they will be scheduling at some if the larger shows.

Sorry, but am I the only one that doesn't know that name? Could someone, please fill me in. I also noticed a single listing of a paph. micranthum on E-bay with a new vendor with the screen name Orchidzone. I wrote the following:

Dear theorchidzone,

So, I just have to ask are you really the Orchid Zone or are you just using that as a screen name? If you are the new owner you should go over to Slipper Talk as everyone there is interested in what is going on and what this may or may not mean to us slipper lovers. Matter a fact, take a vendor spot, it's free.

Bob Phillips
a.k.a. Bob in Albany, Ny

This is the reply I received at 7 pm :

Dear bobsorchids,

This is Orchid Zone posting, correct.
Sure, I can give an update.

- theorchidzone

Last edited:
Hmmm....disappointing reply, Bob. 'Not enough information to really figure out what's what. He/they don't seem very keen on attracting business from our group. Odd.

Might just not be ready for the masses? The purchase just closed and it may take some time for things to settle a bit.

I know for myself, I don't throw a housewarming the day after I get the keys. I move in first, and get situated.

I share the anticipation, don't get me wrong. Just sayin'.

Might just not be ready for the masses? The purchase just closed and it may take some time for things to settle a bit.

I know for myself, I don't throw a housewarming the day after I get the keys. I move in first, and get situated.

I share the anticipation, don't get me wrong. Just sayin'.

I agree! Let him get his bearings and then we can stampede through :D.

Did anyone else check eBay today. They have 5-6 plants listed, including a couple I might bid on, if the price to ship wasn't $150.00!!! :p

Did anyone else check eBay today. They have 5-6 plants listed, including a couple I might bid on, if the price to ship wasn't $150.00!!! :p

Maybe they plan on personally driving cross country to hand deliver your plant...

Back