Orchid Zone sells Paph flasks on E-bay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no reason to have to surrender to spider mites. They're one of the easiest pests to control. Better than ANY chemical; use Horticultural Oil at 10 or maximum, 15 mls per litre of water. Spray the entire plant thoroughly. It's found in any garden centre. It's a very ultra-fine grade of mineral oil; far better than thicker grades of mineral oil found in pharmacies, which can suffocate your plants. It's got up to 3% emulsifiers to make it mix with water. Usually one thorough spray gets rid of mites completely. If your conditions encourage mites to thrive (hot/dry), just spray once a month for continuous control. If you have a lot of plants, use an electronic paint sprayer to "fog" the plants with a wet mist. DO NOT go crazy and spray every few days and DO NOT use at anything greater than 15 ml per litre. If you do, you will run the risk of damaging your plants by suffocating their stomata. The damage shows up as blotchy yellowing and browning of the foliage. Plants will recover from that; but, they look like hell until they outgrow it.

Thanks for the recipe John_M.
Yes, it was before my tanks, so dry and warm house conditions didn't help. Rusty brown patches all over the foliage. I couldn't look at them anymore.

Thanks for the recipe John_M.
Yes, it was before my tanks, so dry and warm house conditions didn't help. Rusty brown patches all over the foliage. I couldn't look at them anymore.

Common spider mite does not like high humidity, so if you have a problem, your humidity might be too low. I have never had mites in my greenhouse(knock on wood) probably due to the humidity. Well, actually I have, but that was on a fig-tree in another greenhouse having way lower humidty than my ochids enjoy. The treatment was more frequent water on the leaves, trying to get humidity up:evil:

I had a look at them on e-bay and they look very similar to those sold by paph_mania earlier. I bought some from him (at a much lower price) and got them (deflasked) in the mail. A few succumbed to rot but the rest is doing very well, residing in more or less pure limestone compost.

I bought some of the Orchid Zone Paphiopedilum leuchochilum flasks last spring, in March I believe, when they offered them on eBay. They were advertised as having come from Thailand, I believe, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, most of the plantlets rotted and I now have less than half of what I originally obtained from 4 or 5 flasks. Very expensive mistake! Seemed reasonable at the time, but I wish I'd passed on them now. Reading what some have said here, I'm thinking maybe it wasn't just me, that others might have had the same problem?

Most brachys grow warm not under 60 lowest night with a warmer daytime especially godefroyae and lots of air movement

I bought some of the Orchid Zone Paphiopedilum leuchochilum flasks last spring, in March I believe, when they offered them on eBay. They were advertised as having come from Thailand, I believe, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, most of the plantlets rotted and I now have less than half of what I originally obtained from 4 or 5 flasks. Very expensive mistake! Seemed reasonable at the time, but I wish I'd passed on them now. Reading what some have said here, I'm thinking maybe it wasn't just me, that others might have had the same problem?

It is your conditions. The parents were bred in captivity and they were sterile in flask. Grow them warmer. Open media and a little drier than other paphs but don't over due this. Good air movement.

erimos1954, I tried to contact you but you don't seem to have your e-mail listed on this site, nor will it allow me to send you a p.m. (private message). Possible, because this was your first post. But in any case, give me a holler in regard to this topic.

Last edited:
Back