• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Orchid vendors in Japan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murcielago

Reaction score
Hi all, I will be visiting Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka next month. Thinking of getting some Vanda (Neofinetia) falcatas, Cymbidium ensifoliums and some other species. Any to recommend? Thanks a lot for the help!:)

Seed engei in Hamamatsu. They are well known for Neofinetias.

I would also be interested in hearing about vendors. I am planning a trip to Tokyo and Kyoto as well in late November this year.

murcielago, this might be a little too late (I've been out-of-town recently). But here are a couple vendors whose ads I found ads Japanese Cym. goeringi or Neo. books. I don't have any experience with them, and some of them may not be in business, so you should contact at first. They are ordered by Prefectures. If you are in the US, and trying to bring them back legally using the 12-plant rule as a carry-on (i.e. you don't have the free import permit), you should still need Phytosanitary certificate and CITES export permit issued by the Japanese vendors, so you'll need to contact them in advance. Also, my understanding is that you need to enter the US from certain airports which can check the plants. I'm not sure if Cites App. 1 plants (Paphs) can be brought back as the 12-plant rule.

Name Name-J web email phone Prefecture address comments
Aioi-Engei Center 相生園芸センター http://www.aioiengei.com [email protected] 0791-22-1550, 090-8939-0764 (cell) Hyougo 兵庫県相生市大石町11-11 Cymbidium
Bairien 梅里園 http://www.databasebank.com/ran/ [email protected] ibaraki 〒311-4151 茨城県水戸市姫子2-169-4 Cymbidium
Ran-no-Jyourikuen 蘭乃常陸園 0295-72-2594 ibaraki 茨城県久慈郡大子町南田気536 Cymbidium, need to contact before visit
Seiransha 聖蘭舎 090-4372-6173 ibaraki 〒313-0124 茨城県常陸太田市太平町309-5 Cymbidium
Shikoku-Sansouen 四国山草園 http://sikokusansouen.web.fc2.com/index.html, http://blog.livedoor.jp/shikokusansouen-ran/ 042-778-3357 Kanagawa 〒229-0016 神奈川県相模原市 当麻2590-1 Neofinetia, might need to drive. Tokushima (main) and in Kanagawa (branch)
Kyoto Ran Center 京都蘭センター http://www.kyotorancenter.com [email protected] 0774-88-3091 Kyoto 〒610-0255 京都府綴喜郡宇治田原町郷之口田中19 Cymbidium
Zikouen 実幸園 http://www.nihondentouengei.net/member/zikkouen/ 06-6841-3322 Osaka 〒560-0036 大阪府豊中市蛍池西町1-16-17 Neofinetia
Gyokaen 暁華園 03-3306-7505 Tokyo 〒156-0057 東京都世田谷区上北沢1丁目34−7 Cymbidium
Kyuhoukaku 九峯閣 http://www.kyuhoukaku.jp [email protected] 0426-66-1056 Tokyo 〒193-0833 東京都八王子市めじろ台2-39-5 Cymbidium
Baikaen 梅香園 http://www.nihondentouengei.net/member/baikaen/ 0428-22-3741, 090-4817-6702 (cell) Toyo 〒198-0042 東京都青梅市東青梅2-16-10 Neofinetia
Eitoku 永得貿易株式会社 http://www.nihondentouengei.net/member/youkou/ [email protected] 03-3946-6388 Toyo 〒169-0075 東京都新宿区高田馬場4-40-13 双秀ビル502 Neofinetia
Ishii 有限会社 石井 http://www.nihondentouengei.net/member/ishii/ [email protected] 042-331-3756, 090-8645-2467 (cell) Toyo 〒206-0823 東京都稲城市平尾2-22-1 Neofinetia
Seikaen 誠香園 http://www.nihondentouengei.net/member/seikaen/ 03-5949-2936 Toyo 〒171-8569 東京都豊島区南池袋1-28-1 西武百貨店池袋本店 Neofinetia
Tenzan-Koubou 天山工房 http://www.tenzankoubou.com/ [email protected] 042-665-4303 Toyo 〒193-0833 東京都八王子市めじろ台4-39-4 Neofinetia, not active?

Last edited:
Naoki - Thank you!

I just finished mapping out my Japan trip and this will be extremely helpful. I'm going from Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Osaka -> Nara -> Tokyo. We're going to be spending most of our time in Tokyo and Kyoto and you've listed a neo vendor in Kyoto which is perfect.

I wanted to try to pass by seed engei. However, with how things are mapped out i don't know if we will have the time to do it.

Thanks again.

Naoki - thank you so much this was extremely helpful. We just booked our hotel in Kyoto and will be booking Tokyo next.

It's seems like the Kyoto ran center is pretty close to the hotel we are staying at (just a few blocks south of the main train station). They seem to specialize in cyms. However, their website looks to be offering neos. More likely than not I will be passing by their store front.

While in Tokyo we will be in sumida/chiyoda/taito. There seems to be a few neo vendors within a 30-45 minute drive around the area. I might just cab it if I can squeeze in the time.

Sounds exciting, Marco! For fun or business?

Kyoto Ran center is not in the middle of Kyoto, but in SE of Uji-city. Is it where you are staying? It says that get off from Keihan Uji station, JR Uji station, or Kintetsu Kyou-tanabe station (Keihan, JR, and Kintetsu are 3 different train companies). Then 20 min on Keihan Uji Bus (get off at Gonokuch Bus stop). Then 5 min. walk.

Their price list include C. goeringi (both Japanese, and Chinese strains), C. kanran, about 80 Neo, and a couple of Phalaenopsis (Sedirea) japonica, Bulbophyllum japonicum, Gastrochilus japonicas. They have a couple Neo pots listed, too ($46 and up). Do you want me to ask if they can prep. Photo and CITES export docs?

Naoki - This trip is purely pleasure. My fiancé and I will taking our engagement photos in Arashiyama. It is our first time in Japan and we are very excited.

While at Kyoto we are staying at a hotel in Minami ward about 5 blocks south of the tokaido main line. Based on how I'm looking at the map it is on route 143. Google maps says that the Kyoto ran center is 30-45 minute drive from our hotel or about 1.25 hours by train. I believe uber operates in Japan. We will have the Shinkansen pass. If the rail can't get us there we may just cab/uber it over.

Regarding phyto and cites docs. Do you know typically how long it takes a vendor to process such docs and is there an expiration on these docs (my apologies I am not familiar with how this works)? I have an inkling that processing docs now may be a bit premature?

Regarding phyto and cites docs. Do you know typically how long it takes a vendor to process such docs and is there an expiration on these docs (my apologies I am not familiar with how this works)? I have an inkling that processing docs now may be a bit premature?[/QUOTE]

Getting Documentation in Japan is difficult, I strongly suggest you contact vendors in advance to see if they can get permits.

From my three trips my understanding is the only place you can get either CITES or phyto permits is at the airport, and you must book the inspection 48 hours in advance with a full packing list or they will not see you.

Any of the vendors listed should be able to help you out.

Catt - This is really good to know. Unfortunately, I will be traveling another week after Kyoto before heading back home. I would love to bring The plants with me on the plane. however, caring for plants en route might be a bit of a challenge. I was thinking about just having the vendor ship plants the day we leave Japan. I will also get ripped a new one if we miss our flight because of neos. However, if the cost to ship is significant and baggage check for one box is free, I may just take it on the chin and haul neos around with me.

Marco, I hope you'll have great time there!

I haven't done it by myself. As Cattmad said, it is probably best to contact the vendors at first. Some people can read/write English (speak/listen is more difficult for them). If they don't reply, I can ask them in Japanese if you want. I'm not sure if you (buyer) can get CITES export permit, so if the vendor can't provide it, it may not be possible. I read a little about Phyto, which seems to be easier (than CITES) and you can possibly do it. For phyto, in addition to the airports, there are several inspection stations (including Osaka and Tokyo). They do recommend contacting them before bringing the plants in as cattmad recommended. They mention that the time required for inspection depends on where you are exporting. Phytosanitary certificate for the traveller seems to be free if you bring them to the inspection station by yourself, but I wonder if some vendors can do it for you.

If you are using 12 plant rule, you probably should check the airport of entry.

For shipping, you'll need an import permit (PPQ587) from APHIS. It is free and you can get it fairly easily, but they are pretty slow. It took about 6 weeks or so for me, so this might be too late, right?

yes, phyto is free if you attend the inspection station, I think CITES is small nominal fee (cant remember), but if they vendor has to travel you will likely be asked to pay, unfortunately tolls are horrendous in Japan.

My suggestion is to contact the vendors you are visiting and ask them to prepare the request for inspection document you need to lodge, make assumptions on the quantaties which you can change and fax that to the inspection station at the airport 48 hours before your flight and get the inspection done before you leave. If your flying out of Narita ask for a map as Terminal 1 and 2 have separate inspection stations that are impossible to find without maps.

Also be aware Japan has some crazy rule that plants cannot be shipped by any means other than Japan post (EMS) so its not expensive but can be slow

I cant help you with the US import laws though

A couple notes.
--flasks are much easier to bring back. I believe only a Phyto is required. I have also had them sent to me by EMS.
--Seed Engei comes to the US quite regularly, so if you want something from them when you visit, they can presumably bring it to the US next trip. I am not super familiar with the genuses of interest, so I am not sure they would have everything of interest to you. However, this would remove a huge hassle factor if they have what you want.

Keep in mind that Phyto permits are specific to the exact plants being exported. That means you must first select the plants you want the phyto for, then those plants must be inspected by the agency issuing the Phyto cert. Normally the inspection has to occur in the nursery that grew the plants.

Keep in mind that Phyto permits are specific to the exact plants being exported. That means you must first select the plants you want the phyto for, then those plants must be inspected by the agency issuing the Phyto cert. Normally the inspection has to occur in the nursery that grew the plants.

japan is different on this lance and inspections are not conducted in the nurseries.

The orchid zone is correct, flasks are much easier

japan is different on this lance and inspections are not conducted in the nurseries.

Interesting.
If the inspector does not see the plants where they were grown how can they certify providence? If they are not inspected in the growing area how can they certify that they are artificiality produced?
Japan is definitively friendly for transport. Make sure the certificate they issue covers the requirements of the USDA for entry into the USA. Don't assume anything.

Interesting.
If the inspector does not see the plants where they were grown how can they certify providence? If they are not inspected in the growing area how can they certify that they are artificiality produced?
Japan is definitively friendly for transport. Make sure the certificate they issue covers the requirements of the USDA for entry into the USA. Don't assume anything.

I cant answer that, but that's how its done, you take them to an inspection station or they charge you heavily, to the point its cost prohibitive.

They refuse to even supply an inspection station at the Tokyo dome show

For shipping, you'll need an import permit (PPQ587) from APHIS. It is free and you can get it fairly easily, but they are pretty slow. It took about 6 weeks or so for me, so this might be too late, right?

Naoki - my trip will be this November so there is time. Thanks for pointing this out I will definitely look into this.

As most suggested I will also contact the vendor to see how I can go about getting plants over here and if it's possible for them to provide this service.

Latest posts

Back