Orchid Society of Alberta 2010 Show Photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some more photos, mostly non-slippers...

Masd. Golden Monarch
IMG_0417.jpg

Sophrocattleya Platinum Sun
IMG_0453.jpg

Masd. Celtic Frost 'Marsh Hollow' HCC/AOS
IMG_0473.jpg

Oerstedella centradenia. Paramount won Reserve Grand Champion plus numerous other awards for this plant.
IMG_0480.jpg

Masd. Mary Staal 'Yellow'
IMG_0476.jpg

Den. amethystoglossum. This smelled heavenly.
IMG_0492.jpg

Guarianthe aurantiaca
IMG_0503.jpg

Cattlianthe Caribbean 'Orange Bowl'
IMG_0506.jpg

SLC Jungle Beau
IMG_0509.jpg

Coelogyne mossiae
IMG_0538.jpg

Burrageara Pacific Ripple
IMG_0551.jpg

Coelogyne cristata
IMG_0586.jpg

Milt. Don Harper
IMG_0614.jpg

Nice CATTLEYA aurantiaca (I'm sticking with the old names).

I need to figure out how to bloom Coelogyne cristata. That one is impessive. Is the rosette on the wall behind it for it? Did it get best specimen? Who's was it?

thanks for the pics: cool slippers and great Chia Lin!!!! Jean

I posted this one before seeing the rest of your pics Joanne: I agree with Kevin for aurantiaca and the cristata, and that Coelogyne mossiae is still missing in my collection!!! Thanks Joanne!!!!

Nice CATTLEYA aurantiaca (I'm sticking with the old names).

I need to figure out how to bloom Coelogyne cristata. That one is impessive. Is the rosette on the wall behind it for it? Did it get best specimen? Who's was it?

The cristata is Terry Letendre's. I'm not sure exactly what it won; I'll be getting the list of awards and ribbons from OSA soon for my newsletter and I'll let you know then.

It definitely gets cool! What about light or humidity? Mines big enough to divide, so I'll gow a them in different conditions to see if I can get it right.

Super show gang! I'm surprized for all the illegal US Paph imports that go into Canada legally, you showed none in the show. Why is that?

They could have been there and I just didn't photograph them. There were a bazillion plants, I didn't have time to shoot them all. :D

Fren or Joe would probably know if there were "special" plants there that I missed...

Super show gang! I'm surprized for all the illegal US Paph imports that go into Canada legally, you showed none in the show. Why is that?
there was a Paph Maelstrom dispalyed in bloom (armeni white x jackii), too bad I did not photograph it. I don't find their hybrids spectacular although jackii seems to be a vigorous plant so far. And blooming size jackii hybrids for sale.

And hangianum seedlings for sale, as well as their hybrids. Some larger plants too.

No paphs imported this year from Thailand (no thaianum, longipetalum, etc.). She did have some imported legally previously. How much cultivation there was of these paphs, that can be questioned. She told me she deflasked hangianums recently and they all died:(

I guess that wasn't very exciting...mostly seedlings :p

We very rarely see any of those "illegal" Vietnamese Paphs around here, at least not in bloom. They're not as common as you think.

In addition to what Fren said, there were vietnamense seedlings for sale, and vietnamense hybrids, such as Wossner China Moon. I think those are now legal in the States though... you guys probably see more of them than we do!

I don't care for the jackii hybrids at all... they look like lesser versions of the crosses made with malipoense. The species, however, is very charming in its own right. You almost never see them.

I have seen two of the Vietnamese species in bloom at our show before: tranlienianum and helenae. I also once saw what I was almost certain was a vietnamense but was labelled as a Ho Chi Minh. But none of those this year!

Joe

And blooming size jackii hybrids for sale.

And hangianum seedlings for sale, as well as their hybrids. Some larger plants too.

No paphs imported this year from Thailand (no thaianum, longipetalum, etc.). She did have some imported legally previously. How much cultivation there was of these paphs, that can be questioned. She told me she deflasked hangianums recently and they all died:(

I guess that wasn't very exciting...mostly seedlings :p
If you don't find that exciting you need to move here for a while to appreciate them! :(

Latest posts

Back