Orchid Society of Alberta 2010 Show Photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They sent Ivan from Ecuagenera:)
I bought a Maxillaria reichenheimiana and Encyclia phoenicea from Ecuagenera,
I can't believe I suckered myself into buying Maxillaria reichenheimiana becasue it had nice foliage.

Who brought the Cyps? Very pale colour on those.

Chuck Taylor's cypripediums (Fatoldbaldguy Orchids). This is my second time that I recall seeing him display Cyps. I am glad that he takes the time to make these bloom early for the show.
An elderly lady, who I was giving a tour to, was very happy to see them, and I am sure many other people too

Thanks for sharing, I couldn't go this year because I'm headed for Jamaica next weekend. I was hoping for some of Forestview Gardens complex (like Lippewunder) maybe I'll find species mini-flasks in Jamaica to tide me over.

Shaun

Forestview had some very nice plants of Lippewunder available for $45 at their sales table.

Chuck Taylor's cypripediums (Fatoldbaldguy Orchids). This is my second time that I recall seeing him display Cyps. I am glad that he takes the time to make these bloom early for the show.
An elderly lady, who I was giving a tour to, was very happy to see them, and I am sure many other people too

Fren, it was nice to meet you although we didn't have a lot of time to talk. The hospitality of the people of Edmonton is amazing, and I felt quite welcome by all that invited me. It was great to see a good level of interest in slippper orchids, especially Chuck who is quite the avid Phrag guy. His awarded Eric Young is the reddest one I have ever seen and very impressive.

Sorry you couldn't be at the banquet to hear my presentation.....

Was it Chuck's Eric Young that won the Grand Champion? I couldn't get close enough for a good look at the tags...

IMG_0595.jpg

Was it Chuck's Eric Young that won the Grand Champion? I couldn't get close enough for a good look at the tags...

IMG_0595.jpg

Yes, it is the plant on the left that had a previous AM/AOS. It bloomed this year with 7 flowers and 6 buds on one inflorescence, but the form wasn't quite as good as the award blooming. The color is exceptional!

Phrag. High Voltage 'Trud's Slim Creek' AM/AOS was awarded last year, and we ribbon judged Phrags with Rita. The blooms were even bigger on a single spike. The blooms too heavy for the peduncle acually.

I might get to upload a few more photos on Tuesday. I took some random photos.

Fren, it was nice to meet you although we didn't have a lot of time to talk. The hospitality of the people of Edmonton is amazing, and I felt quite welcome by all that invited me. It was great to see a good level of interest in slippper orchids, especially Chuck who is quite the avid Phrag guy. His awarded Eric Young is the reddest one I have ever seen and very impressive.

Sorry you couldn't be at the banquet to hear my presentation.....

I did have a good Saturday though. Nice meeting you and I hope that you enjoyed your time in Edmonton.

Chuck is the phrag master of the society. I have never imagined something like this is capable on a Eric Young :clap:This is the most amazing Eric Young I've ever seen ('Slim Creek' AM/AOS?) I think he has brought it to a meeting with two spikes before

From left to right:
Phrag Eric Young
Phrag Jersey
Phrag Ruby Slippers
Phrag Autumn Fire 3N
Phrag besseae

(I don't know how I remembered all that without looking it up:p)

Thanks. I was going to say the centre one was besseae, but I thought it had too many flowers. Does dallesandroi give it the floriferousness?

Yup I think so. However it is not the same as dalesandroi because it is somewhat stolonous, unfortunately.

And the centre one is besseae, he had two besseaes.

I wonder if his Eric Young had some dalesandroi in it...hmmm. But it is already confusing as dalesandroi is not at a species level, and are already mixed up with besseae. I think the first Eric Young cross from the EYOF was made with dalessandroi?

Yup I think so. However it is not the same as dalesandroi because it is somewhat stolonous, unfortunately.

And the centre one is besseae, he had two besseaes.

I wonder if his Eric Young had some dalesandroi in it...hmmm. But it is already confusing as dalesandroi is not at a species level, and are already mixed up with besseae. I think the first Eric Young cross from the EYOF was made with dalessandroi?

I don't think his besseae parent was a dalessandroi, from what he told me it was a very red besseae and my guess is that it is the Paute type. I don't think he would get that much red in the flower from dalessandroi.

Here are my photos:
Phrag Ruby SLippers (close up of same one:)) I like this plant
DSCN7402-rubyslippers.jpg

Paph micranthum 'Adara'
DSCN7395.jpg

DSCN7397.jpg

Paph. micranthum 'Mintaka'
DSCN7396-1.jpg

Paph. Jade Dragon
DSCN7683.jpg

Paph villosum (that was labelled incorrectly) But a nicely sized specimen
DSCN7677.jpg

and some non-paphs.
Blc. Chia Lin 'New City' AM/AOS (the deepest coloured Catt that I have seen)
DSCN7406.jpg

Rhynchostylis gigantea 'Spots'
DSCN7383.jpg

Bc. Betty Hamilton x percivaliana
DSCN7405.jpg

Back