Orchid Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your friend took lovely photos, thanks for sharing! They are all deserving! Eric & I seem to have similar tastes but I have to add sand & MK! ..... and those complexes - OH heck I can't narrow it down! MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!

Excellent!! I just wonder if the P. spicerianum is a true species. Some people are questioning the flatness of the dorsal petals and serration on the end or the petals. The staminode looks like it is a P. spicerianum.
To me serration could be due to ploidy and the flatness of the dorsal is due to line breeding.
Ramon

This looks like a very good example of selective breeding. It is happening with many paph species with flatter and larger dorsal sepals, fuller petals, brighter colors. It sort of puts older clones from the jungle to shame.....

Chien, please thank you friend for taking the photos. Also thanks for sharing with us. The one that grabbed me the most was the Frank Hughes. After that I have to say the Fumis Delight and the Magic Lantern. Just a great show of plants.

Sorry to hijack the thread...but Ramon, is yours one of the spicerianums that the judges are considering or have cancelled the award for? From what I remember the edges on yours were more serrated than the one in this link. Are there any ideas floating about as to the parentage if not full spicerianum?

Chien, please thank you friend for taking the photos. Also thanks for sharing with us. The one that grabbed me the most was the Frank Hughes. After that I have to say the Fumis Delight and the Magic Lantern. Just a great show of plants.

I also say thanks to both of you. Bob, I agree with your choices. I especially love the Frnak Hughes.

Excellent!! I just wonder if the P. spicerianum is a true species. Some people are questioning the flatness of the dorsal petals and serration on the end or the petals. The staminode looks like it is a P. spicerianum.
To me serration could be due to ploidy and the flatness of the dorsal is due to line breeding.
Ramon

Ramon, just to add more to this question. Google up a Paph called Bruno 'Model' & ask whether this plant may have had some influence in the really good spicerianums we are seeing now.

Ramon, just to add more to this question. Google up a Paph called Bruno 'Model' & ask whether this plant may have had some influence in the really good spicerianums we are seeing now.

I did and really don't know Roy. I checked up what Paph. Bruno crossed back to Paph. spicerianum (The Gurka) I does not look any thing like a good spicerianum we are seeing today. It has flat dorsals and looks like a complex paph.

Ramon:)

Back