Orchid scheme nipped in bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems he was taking them back to Peru with him from Australia. It's not easy to legally import orchids into Peru and good hybrids are in demand in Peru regardless of genera and they are not cheap.
it seems so sad that hybrids are in demand in Peru regardless of genera and they are not cheap as you mentioned
Hybrids are not destroy anything why punishment!

it seems so sad that hybrids are in demand in Peru regardless of genera and they are not cheap as you mentioned
Hybrids are not destroy anything why punishment!

He gets punished because smuggling is a crime that the FEDs get to do what they love to do when they catch you. (not good)
It should be easy to import plants but there is a good valid reason for the need to declare them for inspection. It's all messed up.

Thanks for the photos Lance, I saw some catt in there too, These photos really convince me that these plants are not rare species from the jungle and on the verge of being extinct . Some have photo taped on, obviously merchandise category.
They look pristinely cleaner and even less tattered than some of the US nurseries' hybrids grown from flasks .

I think the cause of the whole purpose in the first place is lost, to save wild plants!!!??? Burning upon seizure. it just has become another form of the penal systems income!!!! All about the money!! His fine was ($7,300 is what they are after) who gives a **** about some stupid plants...... go burn them, right

The news article is probably incorrect. The orchids are probably not "protected"; the crime he committed was not declaring them. The USFW personnel at the airport probably could not tell an orchid from a cactus. Arias is probably in the government database like I am, due to past issues, so he got flagged at the airport. Besides revenue this case boosts the claims that Homeland Security as it stands is needed (which generally it isn't; it was just a scheme that Ashcroft took to the bank!!!).

I agree with you Eric. All this is pure sensacionalism to fill yellow pages. True smugglers are introducing wild collected plants in the US with clean paperwok... The only "crime" of Manolo was not declaring the plants.

Latest posts

Back